From: Mr Pounder on
My 3 year old custom built computer is playing up. The bloke who built it
seems to have closed down after over 20 years. So sad.
I was on Win '98 and had to do something. The only computers on the shelves
were Vista / no thanks.

I have been getting the message "no drive found" on bootup for about 12
months.
Ctrl Alt Delete and all is fine.
Chkdsk /v tells me of problems found in the system files.
Chkdsk /f does not fix these problems.
No viruses, I use AVG Pro.

I have been told that I have been defragging too much, this has resulted in
knotted files.
The only cure is to format, I have been told this by reliable people.
I am too stupid to do this myself and will take my computer to a Computer
Repair Person.

Will he be able to put my internet and email settings setting back for me.
Or will he need a disk?
VM.

Thank

Steve

From: Tim Meddick on
Have you tried using CHKDSK /R from the Command Prompt or, if using the
"drive properties" tools page, checkmark the box labelled "Scan for and
attempt recovery of bad sectors".

Both will have the same outcome of not only attempting to fix file system
errors, but by using the [/R] switch instead of [/F] you will scan for and
attempt recovery of bad sectors.

Also, you could try booting up from your XP Installation disk, and when
asked, press "R" for

"Repair using Recovery Console"

After Recovery Console [RC] starts, select the Windows installation number
(i.e. "1" for C:\WINDOWS if that's what's on your disk, there will be a
list)

Then just press [ENTER] when asked for an Administrator password (unless
YOU set one, it will be blank).

Finally, at the C:\WINDOWS prompt, type :

CHKDSK /R

(this is NOT the same CHKDSK as in the Windows XP system but a special RC
version of it with different options).

When finished - reboot.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: Tim Meddick on
P.S. Have you double-checked your BIOS settings for installed
Hard-drive[s]?

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: Mr Pounder on

"Tim Meddick" <timmeddick(a)o2.co.uk> wrote in message
> Have you tried using CHKDSK /R from the Command Prompt or, if using the
> "drive properties" tools page, checkmark the box labelled "Scan for and
> attempt recovery of bad sectors".
>
> Both will have the same outcome of not only attempting to fix file system
> errors, but by using the [/R] switch instead of [/F] you will scan for and
> attempt recovery of bad sectors.

I used /r, still problems in the system file.

I'll try the rest later.

Thanks

From: Tim Meddick on
Also I repeat my second later post : Have you double-checked your BIOS
settings for installed
Hard-drive[s]?

==