From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on

>> Oh yes ... I remember DOS ... and floppy disks too!
>>
>> Most of today's disks are way too big to do a DOS format without
>> first setting up lots of logical partitions.
>>
> Wrong. You can format the entire drive with one partition if you want.

.... as long as one is prepared to use partition types that most versions
of MS/PC/DR-DOS won't be able to cope with. This, of course, was M.
Bryce's point. And even then that is presuming that one's disc is below
the 2TiB limit, beyond which one has to do things like switch from the
MBR partitioning scheme to the EFI partitioning scheme, which no version
of MS/PC/DR-DOS at all can cope with.

From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps) on
> And elsewhere, and more commonly, it's called a "high-level format", as
> opposed to a "low-level format". Were M. Toylet to put that phrase into
> xyr favourite WWW search engine, xe would find lots of information on
> the subject.

Yes, but why can't customers do a low-level format again AFTER YEARS of
use? Why should customers rely on SMART?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32.8
From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps) on
> And elsewhere, and more commonly, it's called a "high-level format", as
> opposed to a "low-level format". Were M. Toylet to put that phrase into
> xyr favourite WWW search engine, xe would find lots of information on
> the subject.

Yes, but why can't customers do a low-level format again AFTER YEARS of
use? Why should customers rely on SMART?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32.8
^ ^ 19:38:01 up 4:28 0 users load average: 1.13 1.18 1.12
From: Bob Willard on
Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps) wrote:
>> And elsewhere, and more commonly, it's called a "high-level format", as
>> opposed to a "low-level format". Were M. Toylet to put that phrase into
>> xyr favourite WWW search engine, xe would find lots of information on
>> the subject.
>>

> Yes, but why can't customers do a low-level format again AFTER YEARS of
> use? Why should customers rely on SMART?

Get one of the many utilities that will write zeros to the entire HD,
then repartition, then reformat (the high-level format).

The other way to get a newly formatted HD is to buy a new one.
--
Cheers, Bob
From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps) on
> Get one of the many utilities that will write zeros to the entire HD,
> then repartition, then reformat (the high-level format).
>
> The other way to get a newly formatted HD is to buy a new one.

How could I tell the utility not to retry a bad sector to save time? I
want it to mark a sector as bad when it fails to read it on the FIRST
TIME (aka, NO MERCY)!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32.8
^ ^ 20:12:01 up 5:02 0 users load average: 1.19 1.16 1.10