From: Sjouke Burry on
Yousuf Khan wrote:
> Robin Bignall wrote:
>> Another piece of software that will give you a SMART readout is
>> Speedfan, even if you use it occasionally only for that purpose, not
>> to control/monitor fans. It is free.
>
> Yeah, it does display SMART values, but does not make any sort of
> analysis of that data.
>
> Yousuf Khan
Everest Home edition does.
Extract from report:

From: Yousuf Khan on
Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps) wrote:
>> Get one of the many utilities that will write zeros to the entire HD,
>> then repartition, then reformat (the high-level format).
>>
>> The other way to get a newly formatted HD is to buy a new one.
>
> How could I tell the utility not to retry a bad sector to save time? I
> want it to mark a sector as bad when it fails to read it on the FIRST
> TIME (aka, NO MERCY)!

There's always little errors happening with modern drives, e.g. line
errors. There could be 100's of these per minute. If it weren't for the
fact that the drive's own electronics understood this situation, under
your system we'd be marking perfectly good sectors bad for no reason.

It sounds like you're frustrated with one particular drive that may be
giving you these errors. I'm sure if you analysed it with SMART tools,
you'll find that this drive may actually be failing and it's slow
because it's run out of spare sectors to replace. The best way to find
out is to post the SMART report right here on the newsgroup and let the
experts here take a look at it. A utility called Everest will save a
file with this info in it, which you can then copy'n'paste here.

Yousuf Khan
From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps) on
> There's always little errors happening with modern drives, e.g. line
> errors. There could be 100's of these per minute. If it weren't for the
> fact that the drive's own electronics understood this situation, under
> your system we'd be marking perfectly good sectors bad for no reason.

Like I said: No mercy! The data is more valuable than a tiny tiny spot
on a disk platter.

> It sounds like you're frustrated with one particular drive that may be
> giving you these errors. I'm sure if you analysed it with SMART tools,
> you'll find that this drive may actually be failing and it's slow
> because it's run out of spare sectors to replace. The best way to find
> out is to post the SMART report right here on the newsgroup and let the
> experts here take a look at it. A utility called Everest will save a
> file with this info in it, which you can then copy'n'paste here.

I understood. Same "no mercy" policy when it comes to the reliability of
the whole disk drive!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32.8
From: Yousuf Khan on
Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps) wrote:
>> There's always little errors happening with modern drives, e.g. line
>> errors. There could be 100's of these per minute. If it weren't for the
>> fact that the drive's own electronics understood this situation, under
>> your system we'd be marking perfectly good sectors bad for no reason.
>
> Like I said: No mercy! The data is more valuable than a tiny tiny spot
> on a disk platter.

But that's just it, it's not errors on the recording medium, it could be
errors of timing and other things. The error only occurs because
something is too busy or some cluster on the disk didn't rotate around
fast enough for the head to read it the first time.

>> It sounds like you're frustrated with one particular drive that may be
>> giving you these errors. I'm sure if you analysed it with SMART tools,
>> you'll find that this drive may actually be failing and it's slow
>> because it's run out of spare sectors to replace. The best way to find
>> out is to post the SMART report right here on the newsgroup and let the
>> experts here take a look at it. A utility called Everest will save a
>> file with this info in it, which you can then copy'n'paste here.
>
> I understood. Same "no mercy" policy when it comes to the reliability of
> the whole disk drive!

I'd say get the report of that drive posted here, and we can tell you
what's going on with it.

Yousuf Khan
From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on

>>> Wrong. You can format the entire drive with one partition if you want.
>>>
>> ... as long as one is prepared to use partition types that most
>> versions of MS/PC/DR-DOS won't be able to cope with. This, of
>> course, was M. Bryce's point. And even then that is presuming that
>> one's disc is below the 2TiB limit, beyond which one has to do things
>> like switch from the MBR partitioning scheme to the EFI partitioning
>> scheme, which no version of MS/PC/DR-DOS at all can cope with.
>>
> Modern versions of Win handle [partition types that most versions of
> MS/PC/DR-DOS won't be able to cope with] fine.

"Modern versions of Win" are not DOS, of course.

> Not it was not [M. Bryce's point].

I'm confident that if asked xe would state xyrself that it was. What xe
wrote wasn't particularly unclear.

> Only fools run dinosaurs like that.

Whether it's foolish to run MS/PC/DR-DOS is besides the point. The
premise is that one is, and the consequence of the premise is that it's
difficult to handle today's disc sizes with MS/PC/DR-DOS, given their
comparatively small partition size limits and the 2TiB limit of the old
MBR partitioning scheme (the only partitioning scheme that they
understand) itself.