From: Thomas Koenig on
On 2010-07-12, jfh <john.harper(a)vuw.ac.nz> wrote:
> On Jul 13, 12:35�am, mecej4 <mecej4.nyets...(a)operamail.com> wrote:
>
>> FORTRAN IV is more suggestive of a general or a pope than a numeral.
>
> A general??

Who is general failure, and why is he reading my hard disc?
From: Terence on
On Jul 16, 5:41 am, Lynn McGuire <l...(a)winsim.com> wrote:
> Nice idea.  Did I mention the 3,000 subroutines and functions ?
> 650,000 lines of code ?
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn

I enjoyed going over this thread.

I noticed I couldn't follow the implications of suggestions made for
the newer compiler environments, but everything between "Fortran III"
and "F90" seemed to make sense.

I particulatly envy Lynn McGuire having a nice problem; I've been
bored resently, looking for something to program, and apart from
advising someone with few local resources, who mistook me for Richard,
on how to go from Fortran IV to something with a future, like F77
source (to get the new source compilable, not due to my preferences),
I'd like to find a new challenge.

Someone else was working on Hamming matrix generation, and still
another on DNA segment searching and matching, but I couldn't use the
results and so lost interest.

I've just been given a Mac Professional; I'd like to know what can be
suggested for sourcing a Forran compiler for native mode; my trusty
F77 compiler works fine in the MDSOS emulaion on the MAC, and the
resulting programs run execept for handling a tiny few of the function
and pad key keyboard combinations, but the programs are not new work.
Sigh.

And I've still got about 25 years more left to fill...
From: Phillip Helbig---undress to reply on
In article
<f2e04c74-9e7a-44e0-9924-84a2417f9991(a)s24g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
Terence <tbwright(a)cantv.net> writes:

> I noticed I couldn't follow the implications of suggestions made for
> the newer compiler environments, but everything between "Fortran III"
> and "F90" seemed to make sense.

F95 is what you want. F95 is just a slight revision of F90, but all the
additional stuff is really useful. Also, I suspect that any compiler
which supports F90 supports F95.

From: Gordon Sande on
On 2010-07-24 08:15:56 -0300, Terence <tbwright(a)cantv.net> said:

> I've just been given a Mac Professional; I'd like to know what can be
> suggested for sourcing a Forran compiler for native mode; my trusty
> F77 compiler works fine in the MDSOS emulaion on the MAC, and the
> resulting programs run execept for handling a tiny few of the function
> and pad key keyboard combinations, but the programs are not new work.
> Sigh.

You can go commercial with NAG, Absoft and Intel the major vendors. Or
there ae the GNU "twins" of G95 and Gfortran. They all support F95 with
more and more F2003. Not to sure about "Forran".

For good debugging there is only one real choice - NAG. It will also
cure you of any inclination to try extensions so you code will almost
surely be portable.

Since your Mac Pro was a gift you can show that you appreciate it by
going first class and paying for a NAG license. Install the GNU ones
to provide constructive demonstration of portability by compileing
with them once in a while.

From: nmm1 on
In article <2010072411250216807-GordonSande(a)gmailcom>,
Gordon Sande <Gordon.Sande(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On 2010-07-24 08:15:56 -0300, Terence <tbwright(a)cantv.net> said:
>
>> I've just been given a Mac Professional; I'd like to know what can be
>> suggested for sourcing a Forran compiler for native mode; my trusty
>> F77 compiler works fine in the MDSOS emulaion on the MAC, and the
>> resulting programs run execept for handling a tiny few of the function
>> and pad key keyboard combinations, but the programs are not new work.
>> Sigh.
>
>You can go commercial with NAG, Absoft and Intel the major vendors. Or
>there ae the GNU "twins" of G95 and Gfortran. They all support F95 with
>more and more F2003. Not to sure about "Forran".
>
>For good debugging there is only one real choice - NAG. It will also
>cure you of any inclination to try extensions so you code will almost
>surely be portable.

It's also the only one that I know of that does array bound checking
across procedure calls - as far as I know, it's near bullet-proof in
that respect if you compile everything with -C=all and don't call C
or unchecked libraries.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.