From: blmblm on
In article <5384e12f-0a8f-4f6f-8a80-77dc0e7e7d83(a)q12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
Steven Correll <steven.correll(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> > I believe that C99 has variable dimension automatic arrays.
> > I haven't tried them yet.
>
> > Ron Shepard <ron-shep...(a)nospam.comcast.net> wrote:
> > Can you allocate these multidimensional arrays with malloc() (or
> > some other library routine) in the same routine that they are used?
>
> Below is an example of a dynamically allocated C99 2D variable length
> array using gcc.

Cool -- I had no idea this was possible (as is apparent from my reply
to Ron). I thought I'd made an attempt to educate myself about VLAs
in C, but I guess I missed this aspect ....

[ snip nice example ]

--
B. L. Massingill
From: robin on
"Thomas Koenig" <tkoenig(a)netcologne.de> wrote in message news:i0nnf8$fb0$1(a)newsreader5.netcologne.de...
| Phillip Helbig wrote:

| > FORTRAN IV even had a Roman numeral. :-)
|
| The nice thing about Roman numbers is that you can't have a division by
| zero error.

Um, can you have division by anything?

From: mecej4 on
Thomas Koenig wrote:

> Phillip Helbig wrote:
>> In article <i0hu98$ocp$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>, Jugoslav Dujic
>><jdujic(a)yahoo.com> writes:

>>> Jeez, I didn't know Fortran is *THAT* old :o)
>>
>> FORTRAN IV even had a Roman numeral. :-)
>
> The nice thing about Roman numbers is that you can't have a division by
> zero error.

Zero is not part of the Roman number system -- it was not needed in a number
system that did not use a polynomial expansion in terms of a small base.

-- mecej4
From: mecej4 on
Phillip Helbig---undress to reply wrote:

> In article <i0hu98$ocp$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>, Jugoslav Dujic
> <jdujic(a)yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> On 29.06.2010. 23:22, Colin Watters wrote:
>> > Here is an even more dated paper (1893) comparing Fortran and some
>> > other languages:
>>
>> Jeez, I didn't know Fortran is *THAT* old :o)
>
> FORTRAN IV even had a Roman numeral. :-)

FORTRAN IV is more suggestive of a general or a pope than a numeral.

-- mecej4
From: jfh on
On Jul 13, 12:35 am, mecej4 <mecej4.nyets...(a)operamail.com> wrote:

> FORTRAN IV is more suggestive of a general or a pope than a numeral.

A general?? What about a king or queen, or an American with the same
name as his father, grandfather and great-grandfather?
(Is FORTRAN III as obscure as Napoleon II?)y

-- John Harper