From: rfengineer55 on
What can Fortran do that C, C++, C# can't?

Along similar lines where would Fortran be a superior chice over C, C+
+, or C#

Jeff

RF ENGINEER55
From: Lynn McGuire on
> What can Fortran do that C, C++, C# can't?
>
> Along similar lines where would Fortran be a superior chice over C, C+
> +, or C#

None that I know of. Here is a dated (1992) paper comparing F77,
F90, C and C++ for engineering pgrograms:
http://www.leshatton.org/Documents/JSX_0192.pdf

Me, myself and I, we all prefer C++. I like strong typing and
mandatory function prototypes. I also like function overloading.

However, I find that the programmer is more important than the
language. Good programmers can write good code in any language.
Bad programmers can screw anything up.

Lynn
From: Gib Bogle on
rfengineer55 wrote:
> What can Fortran do that C, C++, C# can't?
>
> Along similar lines where would Fortran be a superior chice over C, C+
> +, or C#
>
> Jeff
>
> RF ENGINEER55

I suggest a google search on that topic - there have been countless
discussions/arguments over the years. I'd be surprised if you find many here
who want to reprise them.
From: dpb on
Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> What can Fortran do that C, C++, C# can't?
>>
>> Along similar lines where would Fortran be a superior chice over C, C+
>> +, or C#
>
> None that I know of. Here is a dated (1992) paper comparing F77,
> F90, C and C++ for engineering pgrograms:
> http://www.leshatton.org/Documents/JSX_0192.pdf

Far too dated and superficial in the facilities of current Fortran (see
Richard Maine's comments in other thread where it was brought up) I
think to be of any value any longer.

> Me, myself and I, we all prefer C++. I like strong typing and
> mandatory function prototypes. I also like function overloading.

"IMPLICIT NONE" :)

Generic functions exist in Fortran since F90/95 and more oo-related
stuff is in F03/F08.

I as the same trio am adamantly in the opposite camp... :)

I expect the above sentiment is largely owing to not having legacy F77
code that hasn't already been ported years ago to F95 compilers so that
those features are now old hat. In your situation wherein you're forced
to use a compiler last updated nearly 20 years ago now and a code base
some of which dates to 40 years or more, it's not surprising that
something newer looks shinier. :)

> However, I find that the programmer is more important than the
> language. Good programmers can write good code in any language.
> Bad programmers can screw anything up.

Amen...some of the best code I've ever read was written in Forth. It
was almost as easy to read as a text. OTOH, some of the worst was also
on the same project but by a far less adept coder. I've not doubt that
same coders C or Fortran would also have been very poor as well.

From: Richard Maine on
dpb <none(a)non.net> wrote:
> I expect the above sentiment is largely owing to not having legacy F77
> code

In Lynn's case, I'd claim that the code was legacy F66 code that had not
yet been fully ported to f77. It obviously also has a mixture of some
newer features, but if she is just now getting rid of the Hollerith
usage, I'd say that part reflects F66 legacy. Hollerith was not part of
the F77 standard. There is an F77 Appendix describing Hollerith, but
about the first thing the Appendix section of f77 says is "These
Appendices are not part of American National Standard Programming
Language Fortran..."

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain