From: Lynn McGuire on
>> However, I find that the programmer is more important than the
>> language. Good programmers can write good code in any language.
>> Bad programmers can screw anything up.
>
> Fortran programmers can write Fortran in any language. :-)

I was waiting for that !

Lynn

From: Colin Watters on
Fortran is the worst programming language, apart from all the others for
which compilers have been written from time to time.

--
Qolin

Email: my qname at domain dot com
Domain: qomputing

From: Lynn McGuire on
> There are many Fortran compilers written in C, as far as I know,
> no C compilers written in Fortran.

If the old Prime computers had a C compiler, it was probably
written in Fortran. The whole operating system was written in
a heavily extended fortran 66 until the 198? release which was
rewritten in PL/1.

Lynn

From: Colin Watters on
Here is an even more dated paper (1893) comparing Fortran and some other
languages:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/real.programmers.html

From: Luka Djigas on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 13:44:49 -0700, "Steve Fry" <scfry(a)raytheon.com>
wrote:

>"rfengineer55" asked this question:
>> What can Fortran do that C, C++, C# can't?
>>
>> Along similar lines where would Fortran be a superior chice over C, C+
>> +, or C#
>>

>Since the CPUs on todays computers are not getting any faster (as was
>promised 20 years ago), my main concern is what will crunch numbers faster.

Based on what criteria ?
The last time I checked, Moore's law still holds.

Luka