From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Ron Shepard <ron-shepard(a)nospam.comcast.net> wrote:
> In article
> <08ad53e3-f827-4d57-896b-cf6bc245003e(a)z8g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
> rfengineer55 <rfengineer55(a)aol.com> wrote:

>> What can Fortran do that C, C++, C# can't?

> One of the most important things a fortran compiler can do is that it
> can compile fortran programs. There are millions of lines of legacy
> fortran, both in programs and in library routines.

> I think all of these are complete programming languages in the sense
> that you can do anything that can be programmed. You can write a
> fortran compiler in the other languages, for example, and compile
> fortran programs (like gfortran does). Or you could write a lisp
> machine in these languages and run lisp programs. And so on.

There are many Fortran compilers written in C, as far as I know,
no C compilers written in Fortran.

-- glen
From: Gib Bogle on
Jerry DeLisle wrote:

> In spite of all the arguments, Fortran (as it continues to evolve) is at
> a very minimum, damn good!

I don't like Fortran
oh no
I love it!
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Ron Shepard <ron-shepard(a)nospam.comcast.net> wrote:
(snip)

>> C can handle some complex pointer structures.

Especially arrays of pointers.

> Oh yeah, that reminds me of complex arithmetic support. It has been
> part of standard fortran since the 60's.

It has, but the library support for it wasn't so complete until
somewhat later. Fortran 66, for example, doesn't allow for
(complex)**(complex). Also, only single precision complex
until much later than the 60's.

A large part of the Fortran code doing complex arithmetic,
such as just about every FFT implementation, uses arrays of REAL
(or maybe DOUBLE PRECISION).

(snip)

-- glen
From: Leclerc on
On 06/29/2010 01:03 AM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

I'm also full-time C++ developer, working in the environment where
FORTRAN is also used.

> Me, myself and I, we all prefer C++. I like strong typing and
> mandatory function prototypes. I also like function overloading.

Just for the sake of truth: C++ is *far more* than just strong typing
and overloading. These are just scratch on the surface of the language

On the other hand, C++ is quite (very?) complex, and it has very steep
learning curve. If someone already knows FORTRAN (read: any programming
language), and it fulfils all his needs, there is absolutely no reason
to switch to another language.

> However, I find that the programmer is more important than the
> language. Good programmers can write good code in any language.
> Bad programmers can screw anything up.

I second this one.

From: Ian Bush on
On Jun 29, 8:02 am, Leclerc <gordan.sikic.rem...(a)this.inet.hr> wrote:

> I'm also full-time C++ developer, working in the environment where
> FORTRAN is also used.

Just a nitpick - it's spelt Fortran, and has been for around 20 years
despite what Microsoft claim,

Ian