From: robin on
"Steve Fry" <scfry(a)raytheon.com> wrote in message news:7XsWn.305$5N3.154(a)bos-service2b.ext.ray.com...
| "rfengineer55" asked this question:
| > What can Fortran do that C, C++, C# can't?
| >
| > Along similar lines where would Fortran be a superior chice over C, C+
| > +, or C#
|
| Since the CPUs on todays computers are not getting any faster (as was
| promised 20 years ago), my main concern is what will crunch numbers faster.

They actually are getting faster.

From: Louis Krupp on
On 6/29/2010 3:05 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> However, I find that the programmer is more important than the
>>> language. Good programmers can write good code in any language.
>>> Bad programmers can screw anything up.
>>
>> Fortran programmers can write Fortran in any language. :-)
>
> I was waiting for that !

I currently code mostly in C and C++. I still usually use the letters
'i' through 'n' to start integer variable names and the other letters
for floating point variables. Funny how that works.

Louis

From: Richard Harter on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 16:20:22 -0500, Lynn McGuire <lmc(a)winsim.com>
wrote:

>> There are many Fortran compilers written in C, as far as I know,
>> no C compilers written in Fortran.
>
>If the old Prime computers had a C compiler, it was probably
>written in Fortran. The whole operating system was written in
>a heavily extended fortran 66 until the 198? release which was
>rewritten in PL/1.

It did have a C compiler whose principal merit was that porting
to it was a thorough test of the quality of your code. Integers
were 32 bits; pointers to integers were 32 bits; pointers to
character arrays were 48 bits. There were quite a few
eccentricities.

Richard Harter, cri(a)tiac.net
http://home.tiac.net/~cri, http://www.varinoma.com
Reality is real; words are real too.
However words are not reality.
From: Ron Shepard on
In article <7hpk26508f5u9upi2llp267c2lsrik0e5l(a)4ax.com>,
Luka Djigas <ldigas(a)get.rid.of.this.gmail.com> wrote:

> Based on what criteria ?
> The last time I checked, Moore's law still holds.

You know that Moor's law is about the number of transistors, not the
speed of the clock, right?

$.02 -Ron Shepard
From: Alois Steindl on
helbig(a)astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---undress to reply)
writes:

> Fortran programmers can write Fortran in any language. :-)

Hello,
just a small remark:
I remember this statement as
"Real Programmers write FORTRAN in any language".
Of course at that time "Real Programmers" usually meant Fortran
Programmers, but it was a more general description of old style
programmers. In this context Fortran means the "proper" tools for these
guys, who also
"don't write comments. The code was hard to write, it should be hard to
understand."
Best wishes
Alois

--
Alois Steindl, Tel.: +43 (1) 58801 / 32558
Inst. for Mechanics and Mechatronics Fax.: +43 (1) 58801 / 32598