From: Lynn McGuire on
> I was wondering what fortran 77 you are using or have used?

We use Open Watcom F77, C and C++ for developing our simulator
kernel. ( www.openwatcom.org ) We moved to the Watcom compilers
in 1992 after using the NDP 386 compilers for several years. The
NDP compilers were horrible, they generated assembly language
which I had to hand tweak to fix bugs in the near/far jumps.

We will be moving to another compiler within a year or so. Either
Visual Studio C++ or maybe the Absoft fortran compiler.

> What would you suggest for a good reference book for cross
> referencing differences between the various Fortran extensions?

Dont know of one. The Open Watcom F77 language manual
( http://www.openwatcom.org/ftp/manuals/current/f77lr.pdf ) has
an appendix A entitled "A. Open Watcom FORTRAN 77 Extensions to
Standard FORTRAN 77".

> I normally rely on the"compatibility" settings in my compiler, but I
> rather have a moe active understanding about what's being converted.

We use /save and /xfloat. /save means save local variables
between subroutine calls and initialize them to zero. /xfloat
means convert all single precision floating constants and
expressions to double precision.

Lynn
From: Lynn McGuire on
>> Almost without exception, the language you understand best. Unless you
>> are doing time-critical stuff (weather forecasting, missile
>> interception, etc.) your time (and the time of the guy who has to
>> understand your code next year) is much more valuable than the
>> computer time. Almost always, computer programs should be viewed
>> as human-to-human communication. It's a good idea to plan on at
>> least one of those humans as being not real bright and to go for
>> clarity.
>
> All too often the not too bright guy is the original author about 20 minutes later!
>
> As in, Why did I do that?

Or worse yet, the original author 10 years later <g> !
"There is no way I wrote that crappy code".

Lynn
From: robin on
"Phillip Helbig---undress to reply" <helbig(a)astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de> wrote in message news:i0c02e$cb0$2(a)online.de...
| In article <i0b9nl$809$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Lynn McGuire
| <lmc(a)winsim.com> writes:
|
| > However, I find that the programmer is more important than the
| > language. Good programmers can write good code in any language.
| > Bad programmers can screw anything up.
|
| Fortran programmers can write Fortran in any language. :-)

You can say that again!

A good example is ACM Algorithm 306.

From: robin on
"Louis Krupp" <lkrupp_nospam(a)indra.com.invalid> wrote in message news:Wu-dnaeciddxx7fRnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d(a)indra.net...
| On 6/29/2010 2:13 PM, rfengineer55 wrote:
| <snip>
| > It
| > would appear from what's been posted here, that there really isn't
| > anything Fortran can do than the others can't.
|
| Or vice versa.

It's a question of how well it can be done,
and how easy it is to do.

From: robin on
"Louis Krupp" <lkrupp_nospam(a)indra.com.invalid> wrote in message news:A6ydnb_IMP5nzrfRnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d(a)indra.net...

| In C++, you can write a class to implement a multidimensional array. Or
| you can download a Boost library:
|
| http://www.boost.org
|
| I've read some of the documentation. At first glance, this appears to
| be nontrivial. I suspect that simple cases would be easier to code in
| Fortran.
|
| FWIW, ALGOL let the programmer specify lower bounds long before Fortran.

And PL/I, BASIC, etc, etc.