From: robin on
"Ron Shepard" <ron-shepard(a)NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message
| In article <Vu2dnZxfzsu_c7TRnZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d(a)supernews.com>,
| "Gary L. Scott" <garylscott(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
|
| > > I would tend to believe that C, C++, and C# can do more than Fortran
| > > can do. Just an educated guess on my part.
| >
| > Many of those complex structures are ill-advised abominations.
|
| A good example of this is multidimensional arrays which I indicated
| earlier. Since C did not allow these (except with constant dimensions,
| I think was the exception), everyone was forced to implement various
| hacks to work around this shortcoming of the language.

No-one is "forced" to use it.
There are other languages easily handle multiply-dimensioned arrays.

From: robin on
"glen herrmannsfeldt" <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote in message news:i0grfv$ije$2(a)speranza.aioe.org...
| Lynn McGuire <lmc(a)winsim.com> wrote:
| (snip)
|
| > 48 bit char pointer and 32 bit integer pointer, nasty !
|
| > When we ported our fortran to the IBM mainframe from the Univac 1108
| > in 1975, we ran into a major problem. All of the machines that we
| > had supported to that date were 36 bits or more using 6 bit bytes.
| > So, our hollerith had 6HABCDEF all over the place. We had to
| > change that to 4HABCD plus 2HEF. It was a major effort to change.
|
| Some might have instead used REAL*8 (or DOUBLE PRECISION).
| It is convenient of S/360 not to normalize data on load
| store operations.

The S/360 has nothing to do with the topic.
In any case, INTEGER would have provided an appropriate
choice.

From: Colin Paul Gloster on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010, Robert Myers sent:
|---------------------------------------------------|
|"[..] |
| |
|Which language is fastest? Assembly language, [..]|
|[..] |
| |
|[..]" |
|---------------------------------------------------|

VHDL produces even faster implementations.
From: Colin Paul Gloster on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010, Lynn McGuire sent:
|"[..] |
| |
|You would not believe how many letters I get to Ms. Lynn McGuire.|
|It is a clue that they are spam and do not even get opened." |

Important mail for me which I wanted to read used to be addressed to
Mrs. C. P. Gloster. Though I am not female, a former employer referred
to me by a female pronoun in a letter of reference.
From: Colin Paul Gloster on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010, Dogstar sent:
|""Steve Fry" <scfry(a)raytheon.com> wrote in message |
|news:7XsWn.305$5N3.154(a)bos-service2b.ext.ray.com... |
|... |
|> Since the CPUs on todays computers are not getting any faster (as was |
|> promised 20 years ago), my main concern is what will crunch numbers |
|> faster. |
|... |
|> -- Steve F. |
| |
|Steve, you must have a particular type of number crunching in mind. |
|Multi-core CPUs [..] |

A "multi-core CPU" is a euphemism for many CPUs.

|"[..] |
| |
|Also, graphical CPUs (GPUs) have been demonstrably been getting faster--much|
|faster. [..] |
|[..] |
| |
|[..]" |