From: FX on
> I might also note that I find it a pretty narrow viewpoint to assume, s
> one poster seems to do, that Fortran code is going to be targetting
> x86.

I completely agree. Even without talking of assembler, I write and
compile Fortran code at least on x86, powerpc, sparc, ia64 and arm
processors.

Oh, and NEC SX-8 ;-)
though gfortran/gcc doesn't target it

--
FX
From: Harald Anlauf on
On Jul 3, 8:16 pm, "FX" <coud...(a)alussinan.org> wrote:
> > I might also note that I find it a pretty narrow viewpoint to assume, s
> > one poster seems to do, that Fortran code is going to be targetting
> > x86.
>
> I completely agree. Even without talking of assembler, I write and
> compile Fortran code at least on x86, powerpc, sparc, ia64 and arm
> processors.
>
> Oh, and NEC SX-8 ;-)
> though gfortran/gcc doesn't target it

Yeah, that's really bad, as there's no good Fortran Compiler for the
SX series. I mean, no Compiler supporting Fortran 2003 and later.
NEC unfortunately refuses to modernize their compiler. I still do
hope
that they will change their mind.
(Concerning raw performance, these machines are quite interesting).

Harald
From: FX on

You can always look at sx-gcc (http://code.google.com/p/sx-gcc/).

> Concerning raw performance, these machines are quite interesting.

Yes, but they require code a bit of code tuning to get the best of the
vector pipeline.

--
FX
From: Harald Anlauf on
On Jul 3, 10:17 pm, "FX" <coud...(a)alussinan.org> wrote:
> > Yeah, that's really bad, as there's no good Fortran Compiler for the SX
> > series.  I mean, no Compiler supporting Fortran 2003 and later.
>
> You can always look at sx-gcc (http://code.google.com/p/sx-gcc/).

Nice! ;-)
Although gcc-4.2 did not provide much of Fortran 2003.

> > Concerning raw performance, these machines are quite interesting.
>
> Yes, but they require code a bit of code tuning to get the best of the
> vector pipeline.

Right. But the detailed performance diagnostics you get with ftrace
is
very useful to get you there. I still have to find anything close on
Linux system.

Harald
From: e p chandler on
"Thomas Koenig" <tkoenig(a)netcologne.de> wrote in message
> On 2010-07-01, glen herrmannsfeldt <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>
>> I have written assembler for many machines and x86 is my least
>> favorite.
>
> Ever written assembler for 6502? ;-)

Yes, quite a lot of it. That chip had two major advantages. The first was
zero page addressing. The second was that each memory access took 1 cycle.
So a 1 MHz 6502 is about as fast as a 4 MHz Z80. [Yes I can still assemble
small programs in hex by hand mostly from memory.]

As for Fortran vs other languages:

1. I know Fortran but only a bit of C.
2. Arrays.
3. Look at some of the problem programs posted in this newsgroup. Some of
the code posted looks like a naive attempt to translate mathematical
formulas into a programming language. But that's exactly what the language
was designed for (minus the naivete). [See my discussion of a program by
Eric and how it could have been improved, for example.]

[On soapbox]
So it bothers me when I read postings from graduates in science or
engineering who have never used Fortran at all. Instead they may have used
something like MATLAB. What are they missing?
1. The vast literature of existing programs written in Fortran. This also
includes the algorithms expressed in Fortran.
2. A better understanding of the limitations of numeric computation,
including floating point numbers, etc.
3. The ability to express themselves in a common language that is well
understood.
4. The problems with a black box approach to problems. [When was the last
time you saw Newton's method fall completely on its head? How about solving
problems with the auto-solver of a modern calculator?]
[Off soapbox]

Elliot