From: Richard Maine on
Lynn McGuire <lmc(a)winsim.com> wrote:

> BTW, in a case of non-strongly typed variable names, Lynn is a He.

Darn. Darn. Darn. Now that you bring it to mind, I recall making that
mistake before. I apologize. I'll try to avoid making that mistake a
third time. Having once had the notion stuck in my mind, it tends to
sneak back in.

Hey, I should be used to "generic" names. My wife is Trindel, named
after her father. There had been a family tradition of naming the
first-born son Trindel. When the "unthinkable" happened (as first born,
she wasn't a son), her parents decided that the name worked anyway. She
had some thought of continuing it with our first born (who was a son).
We compromised by making it his middle name.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: Richard Maine on
rfengineer55 <rfengineer55(a)aol.com> wrote:

> I figured that if there was anything that Fortran could do, the fine
> folks here would know.

Google "turing equivalent".

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: Ron Shepard on
In article
<08ad53e3-f827-4d57-896b-cf6bc245003e(a)z8g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
rfengineer55 <rfengineer55(a)aol.com> wrote:

> What can Fortran do that C, C++, C# can't?

One of the most important things a fortran compiler can do is that it
can compile fortran programs. There are millions of lines of legacy
fortran, both in programs and in library routines.

I think all of these are complete programming languages in the sense
that you can do anything that can be programmed. You can write a
fortran compiler in the other languages, for example, and compile
fortran programs (like gfortran does). Or you could write a lisp
machine in these languages and run lisp programs. And so on.

If you are asking what is easier, or simpler, in fortran than in other
languages, then you may get a few mostly personal responses. For
example, I personally think arrays are easier to work with in fortran
than in most other languages.

$.02 -Ron Shepard
From: rfengineer55 on
On Jun 28, 8:41 pm, Ron Shepard <ron-shep...(a)NOSPAM.comcast.net>
wrote:
> In article
> <08ad53e3-f827-4d57-896b-cf6bc2450...(a)z8g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  rfengineer55 <rfenginee...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> > What can Fortran do that C, C++, C# can't?
>
> One of the most important things a fortran compiler can do is that it
> can compile fortran programs.  There are millions of lines of legacy
> fortran, both in programs and in library routines.
>
> I think all of these are complete programming languages in the sense
> that you can do anything that can be programmed.  You can write a
> fortran compiler in the other languages, for example, and compile
> fortran programs (like gfortran does).  Or you could write a lisp
> machine in these languages and run lisp programs.  And so on.
>
> If you are asking what is easier, or simpler, in fortran than in other
> languages, then you may get a few mostly personal responses.  For
> example, I personally think arrays are easier to work with in fortran
> than in most other languages.
>
> $.02 -Ron Shepard

Ron,

I was asking in terms of what the Fortran language itself had
provisions for that cold not be done in C, C++, or C#. I don't know if
fortran can handle structured like an array of pointers, to pointers,
to type Integer, for example. C can handle some complex pointer
structures. I've never seen similoar structures done if fortran, but
I've not seen everything that Fortran can do either :-)

I would tend to believe that C, C++, and C# can do more than Fortran
can do. Just an educated guess on my part.

Jeff

RF ENGINEER55
From: William Clodius on
rfengineer55 <rfengineer55(a)aol.com> wrote:

> What can Fortran do that C, C++, C# can't?
>
> Along similar lines where would Fortran be a superior chice over C, C+
> +, or C#
>
> Jeff
>
> RF ENGINEER55

All the above languages are Turing equivalent, so anything that can be
done in any one of the above can be done in any of the others. They
differ in how easily and how naturaly different things can be done.
Often the naturally is a matter of taste and experience.Sometime the
fact that something cannot be easily done in a language is an advantage
of the language if what can be easily done is equivalent to shooting off
your foot.

--
Bill Clodius
los the lost and net the pet to email