From: Giorgos Tzampanakis on
I want a simple bitmap font to use in my project. I'm looking
into using a 80x25 or 80x24 format. Where can I get a font like
this in an easy format to incorporate into my project?
From: KJ on
On Jun 26, 1:41 pm, Giorgos Tzampanakis <g...(a)hw.ac.uk> wrote:
> I want a simple bitmap font to use in my project. I'm looking
> into using a 80x25 or 80x24 format. Where can I get a font like
> this in an easy format to incorporate into my project?

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=free+bitmap+font

KJ
From: hamilton on
On 6/26/2010 11:41 AM, Giorgos Tzampanakis wrote:
> I want a simple bitmap font to use in my project. I'm looking
> into using a 80x25 or 80x24 format. Where can I get a font like
> this in an easy format to incorporate into my project?

Getting a font is easy.

Getting code that will move that font onto the display you are using is
the hard part.

So, is 80x25 the LCD pixel H/V or is that the number of characters on
the screen.

Are you using an FPGA to move the pixels to the screen or a cpu.

So many questions, no answers.

hamilton

From: Giorgos Tzampanakis on
hamilton <hamilton(a)nothere.com> wrote in

> Getting a font is easy.
>
> Getting code that will move that font onto the display you
> are using is the hard part.
>
> So, is 80x25 the LCD pixel H/V or is that the number of
> characters on the screen.
>
> Are you using an FPGA to move the pixels to the screen or a
> cpu.
>
> So many questions, no answers.

I'm using a PC monitor. 80x25 is the number of characters on
screen. I will use a CPU implemented on the FPGA to show the
characters.
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Giorgos Tzampanakis <gt67(a)hw.ac.uk> wrote:

> I want a simple bitmap font to use in my project. I'm looking
> into using a 80x25 or 80x24 format. Where can I get a font like
> this in an easy format to incorporate into my project?

What is the screen resolution or, in other words, the size of
the character cell. If you want something like we had 30 years
ago, find the ROM patterns for the MCM6674 or MCM6675.

The data sheet is, for example, available from
http://www.datasheetarchive.com, including bit pattens.
That is a 128 character, 9x7 with descenders. If you are
short on memory store it the MCM6674 way, as 9x7 plus
one extra bit (see the triangle in the corner) to lower
the character by two rows. Otherwise, store it as 11x7
or, to fit in a normal ROM, 16x8. (It fits nicely in a 2716.)

-- glen