Prev: Phi in nature
Next: Motion
From: Randy Poe on

Don1 wrote:
> > Randy Poe wrote:

> > > "Adapted" in that they were changed from correct to incorrect
> > > (I missed your error in forgetting to put a "t" after "vi").
> >
> > That wasn't an error Randy: There is no t after vi because vi is a
> > _ratio_ of length l, to t. The formula in the textbooks is wrong: It
> > should be s=(v/i)xt + (a/2)t^2: Dividing all terms by t we should get
> > s/t=l/t + (a/2)t
> >
> My mistake Randy: The formula in the textbooks should be s=(l/t)t +
> (a/2)t^2:

No, it shouldn't.

> Like you told me velocity is a ratio of displacement to time;

No, I didn't. If anything, I told you velocity is a rate
of change of displacement.

Suppose a car is accelerating at a steady 10 m/sec^2,
from an initial velocity of 5 m/sec.

What are you going to use for l?

Show me how you think this formula works to get displacement
after 1 sec, 1.5 sec, and 2 sec.

The actual answers are: 10 m, 18.75 m, and 30 m.

- Randy

From: briggs on
In article <1126874264.435268.303620(a)g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "Don1" <dcshead(a)charter.net> writes:
> odin wrote:
> Snip<
>>
>> The equation s=(vi)t + at^2 is not found in any textbook unless it is a
>> typo. It should be s=(vi)t + (a/2)t^2.
>
> The equation s=(vi)t + (a/2)t^2 is not found in any textbook that I
> know of: The parentheses are mine! I put them around vi, because vi is
> a distance l, divided by a unit of time; so that the equation should be
> s=(l/t)t + (a/2)t^2.

*sigh*. Responding to Don.

Note that the t in parentheses is a "unit of time" -- the time interval
during which a distance l was traversed. The t outside the parentheses
is the elapsed time during which a distance s has been covered.

The two t's are entirely separate, distinct and unrelated.

Real physicists, mathematicians and people operating with more than half
a brain try not to use the same symbol twice in the same equation with
incompatible meanings.

> The best part is that dividing all terms by t gives s/t=l/t + (a/2)t.
> Try that in your peace-pipe.

Dividing by t when there are two distinct t's is the fallacy of
equivocation. It is an error.

It also flies in the face of Don's previous erroneous assertion that
"terms" inside of parentheses are indivisible.

John Briggs
From: Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz on
In <LyVCKjt$mKVu(a)eisner.encompasserve.org>, on 09/15/2005
at 10:21 AM, briggs(a)encompasserve.org said:

>Please don't use the term "zero sum game" when it does not apply.

It does apply. A non-zero sum game can be converted to a zero sum game
by adding an additional player.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org

From: odin on
>>Please don't use the term "zero sum game" when it does not apply.
>
> It does apply. A non-zero sum game can be converted to a zero sum game
> by adding an additional player.

Nope. When you add a player to a game, you change the game entirely. The new
game may become zero sum but the old game remains non-zero sum.

From: Bob Cain on

odin wrote:
>>Um...
>

> What I am curious about is that Don1 thinks the textbooks are wrong on this
> stuff. Yet his equation seems to be different and inconsistent every time he
> posts a message about it. God only knows how vi became v/i for no good
> reason in this thread. And God only knows what parenthesis actually mean in
> his own twisted version of elementary algebra. God only knows why he eschews
> calculus, vectors, quantum physics, relativity, etc.

I know and I'm not god. It's doubletalk and all the
well if he didn't actually know what's going on. The man's
an artist and this forum has been his canvas for years.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last