From: Don1 on
Motion is a change in position, during time, and is relative to the
position and motion of the observers:

There are three kinds of motion:

1) Inertial motion; where a body persevers to remain at rest or move at
a uniform speed in a single direction; which can be written
mathematically as Velocity (v=l/t).

2) Forced displacement in inertial motion where rates of displacement
can be written mathematically as a/2=(vt-vi)/t=s/t.

3) Resultant motion is the algebraic sum of inertial motion and forced
displacement, and can be written mathematically as d/t=l/t + s/t; or as
d/t=l/t + (a/2)t^2:

Don

From: donstockbauer on
And my left earlobe itches.

From: Herman Trivilino on
"Don1" <dcshead(a)charter.net> wrote ...

> 3) Resultant motion is the algebraic sum of inertial motion and forced
> displacement, and can be written mathematically as d/t=l/t + s/t; or as
> d/t=l/t + (a/2)t^2:

I thought my example of the motion of the Plymouth Prowler made it clear to
you that this formulation gives results that don't match the way cars really
move.

Is it not supposed to do that?!

From: Sam Wormley on
Newton is much more precise
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/NewtonsLaws.html

1. (Law of inertia): A body at rest remains at rest and a
body in motion continues to move at a constant velocity
unless acted upon by an external force.

2. A force F acting on a body gives it an acceleration a
which is in the direction of the force and has magnitude
inversely proportional to the mass m of the body: F = ma .

Here F is the applied force, m is the mass of the particle,
and a = dv/dt is the particle's acceleration, with v being
the particle's velocity. This equation, together with the
principle that bodies act symmetrically on one another
(Newton's third law--so that the force particle A feels
from particle B is equal to the force B feels from A--is
the basis for understanding particle dynamics".

3. Whenever a body exerts a force on another body, the latter
exerts a force of equal magnitude and opposite direction
on the former. This is known as the weak law of action and
reaction.

"Newton's [second] law completely describes all the phenomena
of classical mechanics...."

From: oriel36 on
To Sam et al.

What have I told you before.

Newton worked off mean Sun/Earth distances and concentrated on
variations from the mean distances rather than mean motions along the
orbits as Kepler did *. As Newton concocted a geocentric/heliocentric
orbital equivalency cut from the cloth of Flamsteed's axial
rotation/stellar circumpolar equivalency you can get the stretching of
distances alright but you cannot fit the sidereal format which
facilitates the geocentric/heliocentric equivalency into a Keplerian
framework.

http://www.pfm.howard.edu/astronomy/Chaisson/AT401/IMAGES/AACHCIR0.JPG

Go ahead,under the Newtonian scheme,a constant .986 degree orbital
displacement in an elliptical framework generates the unsightly
spectacle of the Earth moving faster at the aphelion and slower at the
perihelion.You get the correct stretching of distances but the rest is
nothing but a giant fudge .

If you can't figure it out join the rest of the numbskulls who are
helpless before Newton's deceitful maneuverings.What did you think,that
Albert was up to that peevish tyrannt.All Albert did was highlight and
expand on Newton and he is not to blame,just a harmless guy making the
1898 fictional 'Time Machine' novel seem possible in an era when they
thought they could build a machine for everything.

Newton is where the real substance is at but even he was not safe from
his disciples tampering for he never said F=ma and that geometry
applied to planetary motion never,ever worked.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: Free fall
Next: 50% OF POPULATION BELOW AVG IQ!