From: Sam Wormley on
Don1 wrote:
> Sam Wormley wrote:
>
>>Don1 wrote:

>>>Snip<

>>>I don't think so.
>>>
>>>Don
>>>

>> How so?
>

> A simple question, but a book would be required to answer it.
>
> Don

Suggested books
Symon
Marion
Goldstein
Fowles
From: Don1 on
Herman Trivilino wrote:
> "Don1" <dcshead(a)charter.net> wrote ...

> Do you not see that d/t and l/t are terms that have units of velocity, and
> (a/2)t^2 is a term that has units of distance?!
>
> >> I thought my example of the motion of the Plymouth Prowler made it clear
> >> you that this formulation gives results that don't match the way cars
> >> really
> >> move.
>
> > These motions are just the basic premises, or postulates.
>
> I don't understand the relevance of this statement. Are you saying that,
> since they are just basic premises or postulates, they don't need to match
> what's observed?
>
> > All actual
> > motion is affected by various forces such as the power source and all
> > kinds of friction.
>
> That's why a formulation such as yours is not relevant to these cases.
>
> > Not to mention that the Prowler is a unique automobile.
>
> But, you did mention it, didn't you?
>
> And, in regards to the context in which I brought it up, it is in fact not
> at all unique. Most, if not all, automobiles speed up with an acceleration
> that is larger in the beginning of the time interval in which they speed up,
> and smaller towards the end.
>
> Therefore, anyone who attempted to use your formulation to describe their
> motion would get results that are, to a very large extent, wrong. Wrong,
> that is, in the sense that the distance travelled by them would be, to a
> very large extent, larger than the distance calculated using your formula.

Did you see the example problems that I gave for a car starting from
rest. and the same car starting from 15 mi/hr; where both traveled for
20 seconds?

From: Herman Trivilino on
"Don1" <dcshead(a)charter.net> wrote ...

>> > I don't think so.

>> How so?

> A simple question, but a book would be required to answer it.

No. All you'd need to do would be to point out a since counterexample.
Give us a single example of a phenomenon of classical mechanics that can't
be completely described by Newton's Second Law.

From: Herman Trivilino on
"Don1" <dcshead(a)charter.net> wrote ...

>> That's why a formulation such as yours is not relevant to these cases.
>>
>> > Not to mention that the Prowler is a unique automobile.
>>
>> But, you did mention it, didn't you?
>>
>> And, in regards to the context in which I brought it up, it is in fact
>> not
>> at all unique. Most, if not all, automobiles speed up with an
>> acceleration
>> that is larger in the beginning of the time interval in which they speed
>> up,
>> and smaller towards the end.
>>
>> Therefore, anyone who attempted to use your formulation to describe their
>> motion would get results that are, to a very large extent, wrong. Wrong,
>> that is, in the sense that the distance travelled by them would be, to a
>> very large extent, larger than the distance calculated using your
>> formula.
>>
> Did you see the example problems that I gave for a car starting from
> rest. and the same car starting from 15 mi/hr; where both traveled for
> 20 seconds?

I not only saw them, I quoted the first one back to you when I explained, at
length using the example of the Plymouth Prowler, its flaw.

And, as I said, you could improve on your formula, apart from fixing it so
that each term has the same units, by adding a third order term. Would like
me to do that for you?

From: jowr.pi on

Don1 wrote:
> Eric Gisse wrote:
> > Don1 wrote:

> > > A simple question, but a book would be required to answer it.
> >
> > Since when do you read books?
> >
> I've read a lot of them; probably more than you ever will.

Reading is not the same as understanding, if you are any indication.

[snip]

> You probably did this in all honesty, but I have questions: It would
> take a book to ask them all, so I think I'll just stick with my "first
> derivitives"; that f=(f/a)a, and w=(w/g)g. Thanks anyways.

See?

You have no idea. None at all. You are incapable of learning, my
exercise was one of futility - you learned nothing. The sad part is you
don't even realise it.

> Don

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: Free fall
Next: 50% OF POPULATION BELOW AVG IQ!