From: Gregory L. Hansen on
In article <1127237115.004748.182350(a)g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Don1 <dcshead(a)charter.net> wrote:
>Randy Poe wrote:
>> Don1 wrote:
>> > This is what happens with any
>> > vehicle and propellent - why a rocket can't go faster than the
>> > propellent is expelled.
>>
>> Incorrect. A rocket is not limited to its propellant speed.
>>
>> - Randy
>
>Well I dont know Randy, is that according to the law of action equals
>reaction? After all of the propellant has been exhausted isn't it all
>going backward at the same speed as the rocket is going forward? Isn't
>that what equilibrium is all about?
>
>Don

Since force equals the exhaust velocity times the rate that propellent is
expelled we can write

m dv/dt = -v_e dm/dt

where v is the rocket velocity and v_e is the exhaust velocity, and the
minus sign means the propellant goes one way and the rocket goes the
other. Rearrange,

dv = v_e dm/m

Integrate.

v(m) = v_e ln (m_0/m)

where m_0 is the initial mass. When m_0/m > 2.72, the rocket can go
faster than its exhaust.

It's different for a jet airplane which scoops up its propellant from the
air it goes through.

--
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit". --William
Somerset Maugham
From: odin on
> TomGee--Your posts are nothing more than the behavior of a spoiled
> brat. When folks offer you some physical insight and guidance, you
> play you spoiled brat games. What a waste of your own time.

I don't get what his point is.

From: Sam Wormley on
TomGee wrote:

> I was a
> school superintendent once and I would have fired you on the spot had
> you worked for me then.
>
> Sam, I'm sure you're a good person, you just have wrong ideas about
> reality and you don't show any ambition to learn better.

I pity the school.
From: Randy Poe on

TomGee wrote:
> Randy Poe wrote:
> So? Nothing in there about not requiring an energy source to continue
> its motion. How can anyone rationally assume that means it needs no
> force for it to persevere in a state of rest or of uniform motion.

This bothered people in ancient Greece. Nobody exposed to the
last couple of millenia of science seems bothered by it.

Well, except you.

> > (Newton's discussion)
> > PROJECTILES persevere in their motions, so far as they are not retarded
> > by the resistance of the air, or impelled downwards by the force of
> > gravity. A top, whose parts by their cohesion are perpetually drawn
> > aside from rectilinear motions, does not cease its rotation, otherwise
> > than as it is retarded by the air.
> >

> Here still there is no mention of no force necessary to maintain an
> object's motions.

So the principle is "anything Newton neglected to mention is
assumed to be present"? Internal motive forces, invisible sprites
pushing things along, pink unicorns...?

Newton mentions the things that affect motion. If an external
force is present, the motion is changed. IF AN EXTERNAL FORCE
IS ABSENT, THE MOTION IS UNCHANGED. There is no room there for
an internal force to have an effect. There is no option left there
for "if an external force is present and an internal force is
absent" or "if an external force is absent and an internal force
is absent".

So perhaps your "internal force" is a different kind of thing
from what we call forces. It is always there, there is no such
thing as "absence of internal force", and therefore there is
no experiment which can determine the effect of your "internal
force".

> > The greater bodies of the planets
> > and comets, meeting with less resistance in more free spaces, preserve
> > their motions both progressive and circular for a much longer time."
> >

> Nope. Nothing here about that either.

Yep, he left it out, so assume its present, along with the sprites
and the unicorns.

> > I don't know what edition that's from. There were three, from about
> > 1687 to 1726. To me it reads exactly the way we all have been
> > interpreting it for 300 years. Without the influence of any forces,
> >
> You see how some people make things up? You did right here. You
> interpreted your own quotes to say "without the influence of any
> forces", yet that is not what you quoted.

"Every body perseveres in its state of rest, or of uniform
motion in a right line, unless it is compelled to change that state by
forces impressed thereon."

Unless there are impressed forces, a body will continue at
rest or in straight line motion. Read it right there. It will
continue unless there are forces. Without forces, it will continue.
With forces, it will change. Is there another way to read that?
Has the word "unless" taken on a new meaning I was unaware of?

"I am going to take the last cookie unless somebody tells me
not to."

To me, that says that if somebody tells me not to, I will refrain
from taking the cookie. But if nobody says anything, I will take it.
To you, perhaps it says that I need somebody to give me an order
to take the cookie before I decide to take it.

"A body continues in a straight line unless a force changes the
motion."

To me, that says that if a force changes the motion, the body will
not continue in a straight line motion. But if no force is present,
the body will continue. To you, apparently it says the motion
won't continue unless a force is present to continue it.

> Nowhere above do you quote such a phrase.

Relevent phrase quoted again above.

> > body moving in a straight line will continue in a straight line; a body
> > rotating will continue to rotate; a body at rest will remain at rest.
> >

> Still nothing about not needing an energy supply to keep going.

Do you think an energy supply is needed? What's keeping Voyager
going, way out there beyond the solar system, now that its fuel
is gone?

> > > It's a false model simply because Newton's 1st law was corrupted in its
> > > translation
> >
> > I'm having a little trouble pulling down the Latin on this computer.
> > It's a huge PDF and it's choking my computer. I'll post it tomorrow
> > to put that little accusation to rest.
> >

> Right. I can wait.

Voila. Source:
http://burndy.mit.edu/Collections/Babson/Online/Principia/
Scanned copies of each of the three authorized editions. Here
is material from the 1726 edition.

"LEX I: Corpus omne perseverare in statu suo quiescendi vel movendi
uniformiter in directum, nisi quatenus illud a viribus impressis
cogitur status suum mutare."

My latin isn't great, but I get pretty much the same reading from
that as the translation above.
"Every body perseveres in its state of rest or moving uniformly
in a straight line, unless by virtue of an impressed force its
state is changed."

- Randy

From: TomGee on

Randy Poe wrote:
> TomGee wrote:
> > Randy Poe wrote:
> > So? Nothing in there about not requiring an energy source to continue
> > its motion. How can anyone rationally assume that means it needs no
> > force for it to persevere in a state of rest or of uniform motion.
>
> This bothered people in ancient Greece. Nobody exposed to the
> last couple of millenia of science seems bothered by it.
>
> Well, except you.
>
> > > (Newton's discussion)
> > > PROJECTILES persevere in their motions, so far as they are not retarded
> > > by the resistance of the air, or impelled downwards by the force of
> > > gravity. A top, whose parts by their cohesion are perpetually drawn
> > > aside from rectilinear motions, does not cease its rotation, otherwise
> > > than as it is retarded by the air.
> > >

> > Here still there is no mention of no force necessary to maintain an
> > object's motions.
>
> So the principle is "anything Newton neglected to mention is
> assumed to be present"? Internal motive forces, invisible sprites
> pushing things along, pink unicorns...?

No, of course not, but that's what you and everyone else assume. To
think that Newton would accidentally neglect to mention such an
important factor is ludicrous. Most likely, he did not believe such a
thing, as he referred to "an inherent force" of a body that was free to
move in a straight line at uniform speed. Why then would he contradict
that by saying no inherent force is needed?
In science, if something was not said, it cannot be assumed it was
meant.

> Newton mentions the things that affect motion. If an external
> force is present, the motion is changed. IF AN EXTERNAL FORCE
> IS ABSENT, THE MOTION IS UNCHANGED. There is no room there for
> an internal force to have an effect. There is no option left there
> for "if an external force is present and an internal force is
> absent" or "if an external force is absent and an internal force
> is absent".

Not so. There is pulenty of room there. Just because you say there
isn't does not make it so. In fact, the only option is for there to be
an internal force as moving with no external nor internal forces
constitutes perpetual motion, and surely you don't believe in perpetual
motion, do you?

> So perhaps your "internal force" is a different kind of thing
> from what we call forces. It is always there, there is no such
> thing as "absence of internal force", and therefore there is
> no experiment which can determine the effect of your "internal
> force".

Oh yes there is. Start with E=mc^2+(energy of motion) which states in
effect that a given mass has a quantity of energy in it. Go next to
kinetic energy, which is the energy that a body or system has due to
its motion, which is the energy-of-motion factor noted in my equation
above. From there, recall that Newton did not rule out but actually
cited "an inherent force" and that without such a force the situation
becomes one of perpetual motion, then we can safely and simply assume
that my internal force is nothing more than the kinetic energy of the
body.

My model contends that energy is a force. A force is "power or
strength: the power, strength, or energy that somebody or something
possesses"
Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2005. © 1993-2004 Microsoft
Corporation. All rights reserved.

When I first said that, some denied it and some derided my claim, and
others ignored it. No one, however, was able to argue against it
logically. Some ranted and raved, to no avail. They believe in
perpetual motion, I take it.

My claims are supported also by the fact that momentum is a quantity
but it is also a force which is energy conserved. A "quantity" cannot
be said to be conserved but mass and energy are said to be conserved.

> > > The greater bodies of the planets
> > > and comets, meeting with less resistance in more free spaces, preserve
> > > their motions both progressive and circular for a much longer time."
> > >

> > Nope. Nothing here about that either.
>
> Yep, he left it out, so assume its present, along with the sprites
> and the unicorns.

No, why would you do that? It's not a rational act. Neither is your
belief that he left it out. Your teachers left it out, and their
teachers left it out, and it became a false "fact". Why would anyone
support a false fact? The only proper answer is their incapacity to
readily absorb change. Many people believe their god is the only true
god, and they defend that belief to the death, so it is evident that
people do not accept change easily. I did not expect such deep
resistance from scientists, however, and I am appalled by it.

> > > I don't know what edition that's from. There were three, from about
> > > 1687 to 1726. To me it reads exactly the way we all have been
> > > interpreting it for 300 years. Without the influence of any forces,
> > >
> > You see how some people make things up? You did right here. You
> > interpreted your own quotes to say "without the influence of any
> > forces", yet that is not what you quoted.
>
> "Every body perseveres in its state of rest, or of uniform
> motion in a right line, unless it is compelled to change that state by
> forces impressed thereon."
>
> Unless there are impressed forces, a body will continue at
> rest or in straight line motion. Read it right there. It will
> continue unless there are forces.

No, it does not say that, but even if it did, that contradicts his
statement that a body has an inherent force that keeps it moving in a
straight line in uniform motion. Why would he contradict himself? I
am trying to tell you he did not, those who read what he said changed
it to suit their beliefs and set science back beyond Newton's time.
Why do you resist such a revelation so?

> Without forces, it will continue.
> With forces, it will change. Is there another way to read that?
> Has the word "unless" taken on a new meaning I was unaware of?
>
> "I am going to take the last cookie unless somebody tells me
> not to."
>
> To me, that says that if somebody tells me not to, I will refrain
> from taking the cookie. But if nobody says anything, I will take it.
> To you, perhaps it says that I need somebody to give me an order
> to take the cookie before I decide to take it.
>
> "A body continues in a straight line unless a force changes the
> motion."

Oh, my, now you're leaving out words just to fit your argument. The
quote refers to an external force, and you have left the word
"external" out.

> To me, that says that if a force changes the motion, the body will
> not continue in a straight line motion. But if no force is present,
> the body will continue.

If no force is present, that constitutes perpetual motion, which does
not exist in our universe. How do you overcome that? Do you deny that
is perpetual motion? Do you claim that it exists in that one instance?

> To you, apparently it says the motion
> won't continue unless a force is present to continue it.

Yes, that's correct.

> > Nowhere above do you quote such a phrase.
>
> Relevent phrase quoted again above.
>
> > > body moving in a straight line will continue in a straight line; a body
> > > rotating will continue to rotate; a body at rest will remain at rest.
> > >

> > Still nothing about not needing an energy supply to keep going.
>
> Do you think an energy supply is needed? What's keeping Voyager
> going, way out there beyond the solar system, now that its fuel
> is gone?

Well, it could not be perpetual motion, could it? As I say above, it's
momentum keeps it going now, but it won't always.

> > > I'm having a little trouble pulling down the Latin on this computer.
> > > It's a huge PDF and it's choking my computer. I'll post it tomorrow
> > > to put that little accusation to rest.
> > >

> > Right. I can wait.
>
> Voila. Source:
> http://burndy.mit.edu/Collections/Babson/Online/Principia/
> Scanned copies of each of the three authorized editions. Here
> is material from the 1726 edition.
>
> "LEX I: Corpus omne perseverare in statu suo quiescendi vel movendi
> uniformiter in directum, nisi quatenus illud a viribus impressis
> cogitur status suum mutare."
>
> My latin isn't great, but I get pretty much the same reading from
> that as the translation above.
> "Every body perseveres in its state of rest or moving uniformly
> in a straight line, unless by virtue of an impressed force its
> state is changed."

I agree with that, but it still does not say what you et al claim it
says, namely, that it moves in a straight line w/o an inherent force.
If it did, that would constitute perpetual motion. Also, it says that
an impressed force will change its state of uniform motion in a
straight line, but to do that, the force must be an external force. An
inherent force will not change its velocity but will maintain it
instead.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Prev: Free fall
Next: 50% OF POPULATION BELOW AVG IQ!