From: Richard Webb on
On Mon 2038-Feb-08 07:15, Bigguy writes:
<snip>

>> but then I have seen odder things where it turned out that there was a
>> perfectly reasonable explanation for them.
>> How does your friends mix sound?

> That's the important thing....

YEs, but I'm doubting it sounds that stellar. From the op's description it sounds to me like his friend is trying to use channel strip eq in place of an eq for foh.
YEs, one can get reasonably good sound on a Peavey. dOne it a few times myself. OF course, there was a 31 band graphic
in the rack for foh, and I could communicate with the talent about volume control issues.

> Theory suggests it's a weird way to set up EQ, but if the result
> sounds good then it's being done 'right'.

Maybe, but again, we're not there. I doubt it's being done
correctly.

LIquidator suggested to the op he check out some materials
such as the Yamaha sound reinforcement handbook, a good
start for him. Sounds to me like the op's friend could
benefit from it as well.

Regards,
Richard
From: geoff on
Denny Strauser wrote:
> DanielleOM wrote:
>>
>> When I watch a friend mix I find I see all of the mixer frequency
>> settings turned down to about the same spot at 9 o'clock.
>>
>> This seems counter intuitive to me. I keep thinking this is like
>> just turning the levels down since all seem to be turned almost
>> equally. I normally keep them at 12 o'clock with very minor tweaks
>> in one direction or the other.
>> Am I missing something here?
>> Danielle
>
> It could be a few different things. Maybe the house graphic EQ is set
> up poorly, of there isn't a house EQ, and he is compensating with
> channel EQ's. Maybe the console doesn't have a hi-pass filter (lo
> frequence roll-off), and he is doing it with the channel strips.
>
> It is hard to answer the question accurately without more info &,
> possibly, listening to the system.

Whatever the cause, that EQ setting implies that SOMETHING is cetainly very
wrong somewhere. To set that EQ and not search for what else is wrong (
assuming that there actually is a problem that is not 'the engineer') would
be a last resort.

geoff

From: TwentyFour on
"geoff" <geoff(a)nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote:
> Denny Strauser wrote:
> > DanielleOM wrote:
> >>
> >> When I watch a friend mix I find I see all of the mixer frequency
> >> settings turned down to about the same spot at 9 o'clock.
> >>
> >> This seems counter intuitive to me. I keep thinking this is like
> >> just turning the levels down since all seem to be turned almost
> >> equally. I normally keep them at 12 o'clock with very minor tweaks
> >> in one direction or the other.
> >> Am I missing something here?
> >> Danielle
> >
> > It could be a few different things. Maybe the house graphic EQ is
> > set
> > up poorly, of there isn't a house EQ, and he is compensating with
> > channel EQ's. Maybe the console doesn't have a hi-pass filter (lo
> > frequence roll-off), and he is doing it with the channel strips.
> >
> > It is hard to answer the question accurately without more info &,
> > possibly, listening to the system.
>
> Whatever the cause, that EQ setting implies that SOMETHING is cetainly
> very
> wrong somewhere. To set that EQ and not search for what else is wrong
> (
> assuming that there actually is a problem that is not 'the engineer')
> would
> be a last resort.
>
> geoff

Hi Danielle, you would be right. It is not good practice to use the eq
in that way unless it's for some creative purpose- which it probably
isn't if it's on every channel.
--
TwentyFour
From: liquidator on

"Richard Webb" <Richard.Webb.my.foot(a)116-901.ftn.wpusa.dynip.com> wrote in
message news:d7c_201002081204(a)ftn.wpusa.dynip.com...
> On Mon 2038-Feb-08 07:15, Bigguy writes:
> <snip>
>
>>> but then I have seen odder things where it turned out that there was a
>>> perfectly reasonable explanation for them.
>>> How does your friends mix sound?
>
>> That's the important thing....
>
> YEs, but I'm doubting it sounds that stellar. From the op's description
> it sounds to me like his friend is trying to use channel strip eq in place
> of an eq for foh.
> YEs, one can get reasonably good sound on a Peavey. dOne it a few times
> myself. OF course, there was a 31 band graphic
> in the rack for foh, and I could communicate with the talent about volume
> control issues.
>
>> Theory suggests it's a weird way to set up EQ, but if the result
>> sounds good then it's being done 'right'.
>
> Maybe, but again, we're not there. I doubt it's being done
> correctly.

I would bet cash I could walk in and have the system sounding a lot better
in a matter of minutes.

The chance the audio is "being done right" is almost nil. Every channel
being set the same?

"Judge not lest ye be judged" sounds good in theory...but in real life I
expect to be judged every job...and whether I work next week depends on the
outcome of that judgement.

It pays to get good. Then you can make more money and afford better gear.
Stay poor and you will always be half-assing with junk gear.

I have heard some good people get decent sound out of absolute
junkpiles....but they didn't set every channel the same...and they spent a
zillion hours learning to be able to do it.

From: Orlando Enrique Fiol on
Joe Kotroczo <kotroczo(a)mac.com> wrote:
>Except that your terminology is wrong. Phrases like "headroom for cut" don't
>make any sense.

Headroom, in terms of boost, is intended to prevent digital clipping or
distortion. In terms of cut, headroom conversely prevents the hollowing of
specific frequency spectra.

>How would the problem be better solved privately?

Interaction could proceed more quickly and directly. On discussion groups,
different news servers update article headers and bodies at different times.

>Are you afraid of people correcting you?

Not at all. I welcome it because that is how I learn.

>And what has the gender of the OP to do with it all?

Notice how many people rushed to Danielle's aid because they thought she was
female.

Orlando
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2