From: Josh Davis on
I am trying to create a printable page and I have only the pertinent
information on the page and it opens in a second browser window yet I would
like the new window to pop up above the online page and only be as large as
needed not a full size browser window. Is that possible? I would also like to
have the online page be a size that will fit and fill up all space on any
monitor's screen so the user will not have to scroll to the left or scroll
unnecessarily no matter their pixel settings to view the website. How do I
set that up? Also, in the ordered list items 9 & 10 of that printable pages'
text is slightly on top of each other. How can i fix that? Lastly, on the
printable page how can I make the ordered list line up against the left
border of the table? The links are as follows:
Whole Site: http://shirleysrecipes.awardspace.biz
Printable Page: http://shirleysrecipes.awardspace.biz/printlemonpoundcake.htm

From: Rob Giordano [MS MVP] on
Go into code view and remove this <sup>o</sup> and just leave 350F. You'd be
best off not using Word to format your text prior to inserting into
html...also stop using the space bar for formatting.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob Giordano

From: Ronx on
"I would also like to have the online
> page be a size that will fit and fill up all
> space on any monitor's screen so the user will
> not have to scroll to the left or scroll
> unnecessarily no matter their pixel settings to
> view the website."

Don't. Your page is best suited to a fixed width. Long lines of text that would reult from a fluid layout (a layout that takes up the space available) will not only look bad, but will be very difficult to read if the browser is opened to over 900px wide.
If you design for a fixed width of 760px, the page will be easy to read - and that is the most important thing to consider, and will be OK on 95% of monitors.
If the page was about pictures, that would be a different matter where wider might be better.

For the printable page - again, do not bother with a special page. These become difficult to maintain - change the main page and then you have to change the printable version. Use CSS to hide the bits you don't want to see. And a user will not want to see two versions of the page at once - that is confusing.

Take a look at at
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/tests/pages/lemon_pound_cake.html
Notice the lines in the ordered list are separated, the menus are tidy and usable. And the page is readable.

Also PRINT it - or use Print Preview in the browser.

For you immediate size problem, in code view change

or to

The attribute height in a table tag has never been legal HTML and should always be removed. Some browsers actually use it, and as a result do not show all the page contents.

As Rob said, the overlapping lines is most likely caused by the Word formatting - nasty stuff at its best in a web page.

--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

From: Josh Davis on
A few problems with your suggestions:

1. If I take the spacing out of the ingredients then the ingredients will be
scrunched together, thereby ruining my content distribution evenly. I was
trying to balance the ingredients weighted across the page in a 2 x 2 format.
2. I did not use Word to format my text i used the built in features of
FrontPage.
3. I do not want to use CSS because as I have stated in other posts I do not
know much about it. Therefore, i do not know how to implement it. I also can
not find any decent tutorials on how to do CSS that is why i do not use it.
4. It was suggested that I should not bother with a special page and would
be too difficult to maintain and having two pages open at the same time would
be confusing to the user. Well, first the site would not have two pages open
except when they click the printable page link on the main page. When I get
the printable version done i will type up a little note to explain what to do
with this newly opened page and what to do after they finish printing. As for
maintenance, I expect the site will constantly have to be maintained due to
recipes will be added and edited regularly once i get the creator of the
recipe to proofread them to make sure they are exactly right. I have no
problem editing two pages per recipe.all i have to do is open the online
version then the printable version beside of it in the editing pane of
FrontPage and repeat for the whole recipe section.

Thank you,

From: Ronx on
Good luck.

Your present recipe pages look messy. If you want two columns for the ingredients, do not use spaces to separate the columns - that never works. Use a table or floated <divs>.

Learn some HTML and CSS. http://www.w3schools.com will give you a good grounding in these.

If anything, you need MORE spacing in your present pages, not less - and no-one has suggested removing spaces, except where you try to use them to create columns.

--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx