From: Rfaulkner on
My website is enormously wide! How can I shrink it down to the standard size?
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Rfaulkner wrote:
> My website is enormously wide! How can I shrink it down to the standard
> size?

Vegetables.

--
..NET: It's About Trust! http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

From: Ronx on
What is the standard size?
I use a fixed width layout set to 760px wide. This fits every screen (excluding mobiles) currently in existence, bearing in mind that most wide screen users do not open their browsers to full screen. Many other designers use 970px wide as the "standard".
Then there are mobile phones - 300px wide? Again, what is the standard size?

Place all your content into a container (<div> or <table> that has a fixed width. You may have to radically redesign your layout to do this - only you can tell since there is no link to your pages.

Example:

All page content goes here

Also, set FrontPage design pane to the same width as the container - in FP2003, with a page open in Design View:
View->Page Size and choose the size.
All your content MUST fit in that chosen width, with no left/right scrolling.

For other versions of FP, change the size of the design pane by moving the boundary between folder list and design pane. Use an image on the page set to the required width as a measure.

--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

Rfaulkner submitted this idea :

From: Jeff Zeitlin on
On Thu, 20 May 2010 16:23:01 -0700, Rfaulkner
<Rfaulkner(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My website is enormously wide! How can I shrink it down to the standard size?

It would be helpful if you could provide a URL so that those who are
interested in attempting to help you could see the actual web page (and
look at the code) so as to better understand what your problem is.

--
Jeff Zeitlin
jzeitlin+jtas(a)spamcop.net
From: Rfaulkner on
Thank you so much for trying to help me. I'm going to need a decoding book
to figure out what you told me to do!! I'm just a nursing student and this
stuff is like reading a foreign language, but slowly I'm getting the hang of
it.

My URL is http://studentorg.clayton.edu/sna and it's pretty pathetic.

My default page setting is at 955 x 600, but when I shrink it down to a
smaller size, like 600 x 300, it only changes my view in frontpage, not the
view on the web.

Will frontpage not center the content in the window? I tried shrinking the
content on the main page, but it is just aligned to the left, with a gaping
empty space to the right. If you go to any page besides the main page you'll
see what a mess I'm up against.

Thank you for your help, again. While I anxiously await your next tidbit of
advice, I'll try to figure out what you suggested the first time.

"Ronx" wrote:

> What is the standard size?
> I use a fixed width layout set to 760px wide. This fits every screen (excluding mobiles) currently in existence, bearing in mind that most wide screen users do not open their browsers to full screen. Many other designers use 970px wide as the "standard".
> Then there are mobile phones - 300px wide? Again, what is the standard size?
>
> Place all your content into a container (<div> or <table> that has a fixed width. You may have to radically redesign your layout to do this - only you can tell since there is no link to your pages.
>
> Example:

> All page content goes here

> Also, set FrontPage design pane to the same width as the container - in FP2003, with a page open in Design View:
> View->Page Size and choose the size.
> All your content MUST fit in that chosen width, with no left/right scrolling.
>
> For other versions of FP, change the size of the design pane by moving the boundary between folder list and design pane. Use an image on the page set to the required width as a measure.
>
> --
> Ron Symonds
> Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
>

> Rfaulkner submitted this idea :
> > My website is enormously wide! How can I
> > shrink it down to the standard size?
>

> .
>
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2