From: google on
Hi Folks ;-)

Seems to me the situation with your MHS2060AT can be resolved in about
30 seconds:

Question: Can you afford to loose all your data ?

if 'yes' then
(do you have considerable time available) and ( do you
enjoy experimenting)
if (still smiling and shouting 'yes' )
then
keep reading the advice, little of which appears
to coming from people working 24/7 in the data recovery business - good
luck, I'm sure everyone means well, but most of the advice is
counterproductive, and in some cases highly unadvisable.

if 'no' then
take a look at http://www.aurora.se

(or search Google for "MHS2060AT crash")

Aurora is a highly respected data recovery company with very
considerable experience
and, best of all, very reasonable prices for private people ( that's to
say, people that do not run their own companies)

Its worth a look or even a short email, don't you agree . . .

Erik

From: Rod Speed on
GeordieSi <simon(a)hopkins9666.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:

> Wasn't an immediate plan until I'd decided how to go about
> it. I can't see how a data recovery company could repair a
> controller chip so I would have guessed that there is no
> alternative but to replace the chip and or the board. This
> makes me think that with a little insider knowledge it is doable.

Yes, but thats unlikely to be JUST a board swap
when they dont have that warning for the other drives.

> I may be completely off base with this idea but since there are
> no obvious burnout patches I suspect the fault lies on the chip.

There are plenty of logic card failures that dont produce anything visible.

From: GeordieSi on
I guessed things would be a little more tricky than a simple switch
over. From what I can gather the boards firmware must be identical.
This would be the first challenge. I then probably have to set the
replacement board back to factory defaults which would mean find the
correct pins and voltage to apply (if indeed there is such a
procedure). I know I may be a little foolhardy but I also believe that
I can learn a lot about how hard drives work from this experience. I
have also noticed what appears to be test points (labelled TP1 etc).
This might help me to narrow down the cause of the problem. Cheers for
the warnings.

From: GeordieSi on
Many thanks for the plug ;-) I haven't got my new hard drive yet so I'm
not sure how much data I lost since my last backup. If I've lost
anything vital I may need to get professional help. On the other hand
I'm very curious about how things work, especially when these 'secrets'
seem so closely guarded. Getting genuinely useful information is tricky
but if the professionals (such as yourself) know it, it must be
available. Anyway, thanks for the advice - I shouldn't really take up
too much bandwidth in this newsgroup.

From: Rod Speed on
GeordieSi <simon(a)hopkins9666.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:

> I guessed things would be a little more tricky than a simple switch
> over. From what I can gather the boards firmware must be identical.
> This would be the first challenge. I then probably have to set the
> replacement board back to factory defaults which would mean find the
> correct pins and voltage to apply (if indeed there is such a procedure).

The warning appears to be saying that it aint that simple.

> I know I may be a little foolhardy but I also believe that I can
> learn a lot about how hard drives work from this experience.

I doubt it.

> I have also noticed what appears to be test points (labelled TP1 etc).
> This might help me to narrow down the cause of the problem.

I doubt it. You need to know how they are used.