From: Odie Ferrous on
google(a)aurora.se wrote:

> Hi Folks ;-)
>
> Seems to me the situation with your MHS2060AT can be resolved in about
> 30 seconds:
>
> Question: Can you afford to loose all your data ?
>
> if 'yes' then
> (do you have considerable time available) and ( do you
> enjoy experimenting)
> if (still smiling and shouting 'yes' )
> then
> keep reading the advice, little of which appears
> to coming from people working 24/7 in the data recovery business - good
> luck, I'm sure everyone means well, but most of the advice is
> counterproductive, and in some cases highly unadvisable.
>
> if 'no' then
> take a look at http://www.aurora.se
>
> (or search Google for "MHS2060AT crash")
>
> Aurora is a highly respected data recovery company with very
> considerable experience
> and, best of all, very reasonable prices for private people ( that's to
> say, people that do not run their own companies)
>
> Its worth a look or even a short email, don't you agree . . .
>
> Erik

Hang on - you're a data recovery company, and you *sell* new Maxtor and
Western Digital drives?

What experience do you have in your field?

These are shockingly unreliable drives. Or do you want repeat business?

Perhaps there's method in your madness after all.

Odie
From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <1139495492.248720.112920(a)g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
GeordieSi <simon(a)hopkins9666.fsbusiness.co.uk> writes

>Wasn't an immediate plan until I'd decided how to go about it. I can't
>see how a data recovery company could repair a controller chip so I
>would have guessed that there is no alternative but to replace the chip
>and or the board.

I have recovered data from a Fujitsu MPG series drive which stopped
being recognised in the BIOS by freezing the controller chip (the large
Cirrus Logic chip on the board.) It was necessary to use several cans
of freezer spray to keep the drive going until I had copied off all the
data the user wanted, including her thesis...

This was not cheap; freezer spray is expensive!

If the drive has been left long enough for the chip to actually burn
out, it will need attention from a data recovery professional.

--
(\__/)

From: GeordieSi on
Thanks Rod. I know I've still got a long way to go. I've managed to get
the overview of the circuit boards. I've managed to trace the component
parts from the numbers on the circuit boards and have a better
understanding of how they work than I did yesterday. I've managed to
get some rough Ideas of voltages these boards can take. Maybe I'll
simply not find out any more info and won't be able to work out how to
go any further but I'd like to give it a shot. It's just that if if the
fault lies on the board I would have thought that even data recovery
firms would have a difficult job identifying and fixing the problem
without swapping components. What I find curious is that if these
companies have the know-how where did they get it from - do they buy it
from the manufacturer or have to figure it out for themselves?

From: Rod Speed on
GeordieSi <simon(a)hopkins9666.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks Rod. I know I've still got a long way to go. I've managed to
> get the overview of the circuit boards. I've managed to trace the
> component parts from the numbers on the circuit boards and have a
> better understanding of how they work than I did yesterday. I've
> managed to get some rough Ideas of voltages these boards can take.
> Maybe I'll simply not find out any more info and won't be able to
> work out how to go any further but I'd like to give it a shot. It's
> just that if if the fault lies on the board I would have thought that
> even data recovery firms would have a difficult job identifying and
> fixing the problem without swapping components. What I find curious
> is that if these companies have the know-how where did they get it
> from - do they buy it from the manufacturer or have to figure it out
> for themselves?

They have to figure it out for themselves.

From: coast on
My Fujitsu MPF3204AT died 3 years ago. Every reference site I got to
said don't swap controller boards including the Data Recovery web
sites. No No Don't...Don't !

Of of course this made me want to. It took 3 years to find a hard
drive with the same controller board on ebay. I needed the same
manufacturing date and the same firmware revision number. I swapped
controllers just last night and my old drive came to life and I
transferred my old data onto my new drive. It worked with no problem
at all.

I am not any kind of hard drive expert but knowing now what I know I
would say if you can find an exact match (manufaturing date and
firmware), more than likely you will be ok.

My data did not constitute a $500.00 US cost to the Data Recovery
people but it is nice to get the old data back for a cost of $60.00 US
Delivered

Hope this helps.
Don