From: GeordieSi on
Hi all. My Fujitsu MHS2060AT 2.5" HDD has malfunctioned. It is no
longer visible in BIOS. I'm fairly certain the problem is electronic
and some surfing suggests it may be a dodgy controller chip. Has anyone
anyone any experience of repairing this (or a related) drive and could
share some tips? Regards.

From: Rod Speed on
Mark <markincambs(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote
> GeordieSi <simon(a)hopkins9666.fsbusiness.co.uk> wrote

>> My Fujitsu MHS2060AT 2.5" HDD has malfunctioned.
>> It is no longer visible in BIOS. I'm fairly certain the
>> problem is electronic and some surfing suggests it
>> may be a dodgy controller chip.

Unlikely with that particular drive.

>> Has anyone anyone any experience of repairing
>> this (or a related) drive and could share some tips?

You might be able to get the data back by swapping
the logic card with an identical drive. That might not
work too, but if you cant afford professional recovery,
its something that isnt that expensive to try.

> I had a MPG3204 go south.

The MPGs are completely different drives, with a well known problem.
One of the most notorious drives in history, generated a lot of legal
action.

From: GeordieSi on
Thanks for comments. Got some info from a recovery company
(http://www.greenergy.com.sg/datarecovery/datarcfj.asp) which confirms
my thoughts. I can hear the hard disk spin (smoothly) at BIOS startup
but it is not detected. Can't really justify the cost of professional
recovery but I'm always keen to learn more about 'self-help'. Fujitsu
won't of course confirm that such faults exist on their controller
chips. May try swapping controller boards as suggested.

From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <1139437997.092943.174830(a)z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
GeordieSi <simon(a)hopkins9666.fsbusiness.co.uk> writes

> May try swapping controller boards as suggested.

Um. The link you quoted says:

"Do Not: Under no circumstances should you attempt to swap the
controller board on one of these faulty drives with one from a working
drive. IT WILL NOT WORK. This is because the information held on the
failed drive is unique to each drive. Changing the controller board may
very well cause a mechanical failure and render your recoverable data
unrecoverable."

Useful info for Fujitsu (and other) drives at:

http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/fujitsu-hard-disk-recovery.htm

--
(\__/)

From: GeordieSi on
Wasn't an immediate plan until I'd decided how to go about it. I can't
see how a data recovery company could repair a controller chip so I
would have guessed that there is no alternative but to replace the chip
and or the board. This makes me think that with a little insider
knowledge it is doable. I may be completely off base with this idea but
since there are no obvious burnout patches I suspect the fault lies on
the chip. Thanks for the warning though. Simon.