From: David W. Hodgins on
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 06:51:46 -0400, FromTheRafters <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> IIRC the Safe Mode admin account is supposed to be enabled when there is
> no other admin account (i.e., when the last existing one is demoted or
> otherwise removed). A miscreant with sufficient privileges can however
> assign admin rights to the asp.net user account (satisfying the
> requirement for not needing to enable the Safe Mode admin account )and
> remove/demote all others resulting in the user being unable to elevate.

Using the control panel/users currently only shows the one
limited account. I was surprised that safe mode also only
had that one account available.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: David W. Hodgins on
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:15:57 -0400, VanguardLH <V(a)nguard.lh> wrote:

> You could tote a computer monitor (LCD is lighter than CRT, if you have a
> choice) or maybe find a cheapie working model at a pawn shop. After all,
> just how is this host going to get into Windows' Safe Mode or Recovery
> Console mode for basic troubleshooting?

During the bootup, windows switches to vga mode quite early, which does
allow safe mode to be selected/used. Haven't tried the recovery console yet,
due to the booting issues. I currently only have one monitor, a 20 inch
Mitsubishi diamond scan (purchased in 92), that weighs more than I do.

> Maybe you could disconnect the hard disk during the boot so the secondary
> boot device (CD or floppy) is found and used for booting the host.

That's an interesting idea, although reconnecting the drive after the boot
starts probably won't work, and no access to the had drive, when booted from
an install cd doesn't accomplish much.

> If you're going to flatten, you'll want to be saving the files off the old
> hard disk. I doubt the user will appreciate losing their data. So it's
> about time to start thinking of what to use to backup the old files and what
> could then be used thereafter to backup this repeatedly victimized host.

He's using an online backup service for all of his data, but I'll stick in
another hard drive, and backup all of the data, just in case there are some
he hasn't backed up.

> Acronis TrueImage is good (and what I use) but it's payware. Seagate

Once I get the system able to boot from a cd/dvd, I'll stick with a linux
live cd, such as knoppix, and use rsync to backup the data. I may make
an image copy of the drive (using dd), for later analysis.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3