From: David W. Hodgins on
Spent the last 4 hours or so, at a friends place. I'd previously
done everything I could to lock down the system, but he managed
to get some sort of malware installed.

Neither avast or superantispyware find any problems. It's an old,
slow computer, so the scans took hours.

The admin account is no longer accessible from the login screen,
even in safe mode. Only the limited user account is accessible.
GMER will not run, apparently due to lack of permissions.

The fire wall service is not running, and can't be started due
to lack of permission.
The security center service is not running.

This old computer has an lcd tv used as the monitor. The tv does
not display text mode, so the bios setup screen cannot be seen.

The bios is set to boot from the hard drive first, so booting from
a cd is out.

I'll be going back over to his place on Tuesday. I expect the next
step will be to pull the hard drive out of his computer, and put it
in mine, as a slave, so I can scan it without whatever rootkits are
running.

Luckily he doesn't use if for online banking, or shopping!

I HATE Microsoft. I expect this friend will become another linux
convert very soon!

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: FromTheRafters on
"David W. Hodgins" <dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message

> This old computer has an lcd tv used as the monitor. The tv does
> not display text mode, so the bios setup screen cannot be seen.

In my experience (not a professional) if you use an s-video connection,
the onboard video support requires the OS for the driver. If you use the
RS-232 (VGA) video cable instead of the s-video cable you can see the
messages during boot.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

| "David W. Hodgins" <dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message

>> This old computer has an lcd tv used as the monitor. The tv does
>> not display text mode, so the bios setup screen cannot be seen.

| In my experience (not a professional) if you use an s-video connection,
| the onboard video support requires the OS for the driver. If you use the
| RS-232 (VGA) video cable instead of the s-video cable you can see the
| messages during boot.

The RS-232 uses 9 or 25 pin D-Subminature interface

VGA is a 15 pin D-Subminature and should not be called RS-232 nor confused with this old
serial connector.

--
Dave

From: FromTheRafters on
"David W. Hodgins" <dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message

> The admin account is no longer accessible from the login screen,
> even in safe mode. Only the limited user account is accessible.

It might have been a trojan bomb. There is no way for me to tell, but
IIRC the Safe Mode admin account is supposed to be enabled when there is
no other admin account (i.e., when the last existing one is demoted or
otherwise removed). A miscreant with sufficient privileges can however
assign admin rights to the asp.net user account (satisfying the
requirement for not needing to enable the Safe Mode admin account )and
remove/demote all others resulting in the user being unable to elevate.

From: FromTheRafters on

> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>
>
> | "David W. Hodgins" <dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
>
>>> This old computer has an lcd tv used as the monitor. The tv does
>>> not display text mode, so the bios setup screen cannot be seen.
>
> | In my experience (not a professional) if you use an s-video
> connection,
> | the onboard video support requires the OS for the driver. If you use
> the
> | RS-232 (VGA) video cable instead of the s-video cable you can see
> the
> | messages during boot.
>

> The RS-232 uses 9 or 25 pin D-Subminature interface
>
> VGA is a 15 pin D-Subminature and should not be called RS-232 nor
> confused with this old
> serial connector.

Sorry, I knew it wasn't quite right but was too lazy look up the correct
nomenclature. My hope was to help David W. Hodgins. I Googled "rs-232"
(the only nomenclature I could remember) and "video" and got "confirmed
by google" <cough> enough to make the errant post.

Thanks for correcting me.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Avira 10 Bug