From: Paul Furman on
sobriquet wrote:
> On 23 dec, 02:14, "N" <N...(a)onyx.com> wrote:
>> "sobriquet" <dohduh...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Most new pictures seem to be available at 640x480 max... maybe they
>>> will resort to 320x200 in the future.
>>> Take a look at the pictures (never mind the pictures themselves, I'm
>>> just interested in their resolution)
>>> in this free account:
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/antonrengers/
>>> If you watch individual pictures, even if you have a flickr account
>>> like I do, there is no link above the pictures where you can click to
>>> view the pictures at a higher resolution (the 'all sizes' button).
>>> Yet, the pictures are available at a high resolution via direct links:
>>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2656/4206508593_27207dbf1e_b.jpg

Ha, easy way to hack through that. Gotta give them credit for being able
to do tricks like that. Lots of plug-ins for flickr. Btw, flickr has
always made it painful to view full size images, the best way I found is
to view as a slide show. Hit the pause button, turn on info in the
upper-right, make it full screen and use the arrow keys to scroll
through the galleries or jump ahead by clicking thumbs in the film strip
below. This works for accessing the full size images in the linked gallery.

>>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4207261728_34120f1b99_b.jpg
>>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2556/4201461918_eb00b9d200_b.jpg
>>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2531/4200703475_a0aff70fc8_b.jpg
>>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2749/4199974717_2bbf11705b_b.jpg
>>> http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4200723768_1c4f5f91a4_b.jpg
>>> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2664/4195233721_8a9008cdf8_b.jpg
>>> Is this some sort of new intentional policy of those fuckin retards at
>>> flickr?
>>> To put all the pictures online at 640x480 as a kind of default,
>>> without a link to the high resolution version (while the default used
>>> to be something like 1024x768)?

It's always been 500 px max for the opening page for me.

> I dunno.. I'm puzzled. I have a free account at flickr as well, but
> people seem to be able to view my pictures at a high resolution (*).
> So maybe it's because I published my pictures under a CC license..
> dunno.
> Or perhaps it's a new policy from flickr that has been enacted on new
> accounts while preserving the high resolution pics on older accounts.

Or it could be an expired paid account. BTW I've got a paid account and
don't have any option to turn off "all sizes"
http://www.flickr.com/account?tab=privacy
other than only uploading 500px max so yeah, it must be a built in
limitation of some sort. Similarly, if you exceed the 200 shots for the
free account, the old pics don't get erased, and they still show in
searches, just not in your photostream directly. Flickr is super
annoying in many ways but it's also quite amazingly useful.

--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edgehill/