From: RichA on
With some manufacturers even providing adapters (Panasonic) to use
other brand lenses (Leica) on their products and others allowing focus
confirmation and image stabilization with any lens brand, Nikon seems
to be going the opposite way, making it as hard to use legacy Nikon
lenses on new products as possible. Note the specs on this new one.
No AF motor. Which means it likely won't meter with the old manual
lenses either. Only newer Nikkors will function.

D7000
• Replaces D90/D5000.
• Announcement in Jan/Feb 2010.
• 14MP* CMOS sensor (similar to Sony A550 sensor).
• No* AF motor.
• New* AF module: CAM2000, 20 area.
• 5 FPS.
• Live View & 1080* video.
• Articulated 920K LCD.
• OVF same as D90.
• Weight and size below D90 “thanks” to the removal of the AF motor.
From: Chris H on
In message <c0695b63-992a-460a-bd61-d13498137dda(a)e37g2000yqn.googlegroup
s.com>, RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> writes
>With some manufacturers even providing adapters (Panasonic) to use
>other brand lenses (Leica) on their products and others allowing focus
>confirmation and image stabilization with any lens brand, Nikon seems
>to be going the opposite way, making it as hard to use legacy Nikon
>lenses on new products as possible. Note the specs on this new one.
>No AF motor. Which means it likely won't meter with the old manual
>lenses either. Only newer Nikkors will function.

Given that Nikon have used the same mount for 50 years and AFAIK all the
Nikon Lenses fit all Nikon Cameras. They have a greater or lesser amount
of electrical capability and are only a couple of exceptions where it
should not be done.

Nikon have such a wide range of lenses and are brining out new ones
(with VR, greater ranges, faster, lighter etc) to work with the newer
bodies I am not sure you need full compatibility with all the Nikon
lenses of the last century.

From: Bruce on
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 19:22:28 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>With some manufacturers even providing adapters (Panasonic) to use
>other brand lenses (Leica) on their products and others allowing focus
>confirmation and image stabilization with any lens brand, Nikon seems
>to be going the opposite way, making it as hard to use legacy Nikon
>lenses on new products as possible. Note the specs on this new one.
>No AF motor. Which means it likely won't meter with the old manual
>lenses either. Only newer Nikkors will function.

Tell us something new. Nikon has been doing this for years, starting
with film camera bodies that don't allow TTL metering with manual
focus lenses. This "feature" started with the entry-level N4004
(F401) 35mm SLR that was introduced in 1987, and reached the
prosumer-level N80 (F80) 35mm SLR in 2000.

You could even argue that the "feature" started even earlier, with the
entry-level Nikon EM of 1979 not accepting pre-AI lenses, however
Nikon did offer a comprehensive service to update pre-AI lenses with
new AI-enabled aperture rings.

Those (D)SLR buyers who need compatibility with their legacy Nikkors
can always buy a more expensive camera body. Just as those who
rejected the N4004 could choose the N8008 (F801), those rejecting the
D7000 can choose a D300, or one of several older DSLRs that include a
focusing motor in the camera body.

Let's not forget that even legacy AF Nikkors without the "Silent Wave"
AF-S motor can be used in all exposure modes on the D7000 but need to
be focused manually.

So I say again, tell us something new. ;-)

From: Bowser on
wrote:

>With some manufacturers even providing adapters (Panasonic) to use
>other brand lenses (Leica) on their products and others allowing focus
>confirmation and image stabilization with any lens brand, Nikon seems
>to be going the opposite way, making it as hard to use legacy Nikon
>lenses on new products as possible. Note the specs on this new one.
>No AF motor. Which means it likely won't meter with the old manual
>lenses either. Only newer Nikkors will function.
>
>D7000
>� Replaces D90/D5000.
>� Announcement in Jan/Feb 2010.
>� 14MP* CMOS sensor (similar to Sony A550 sensor).
>� No* AF motor.
>� New* AF module: CAM2000, 20 area.
>� 5 FPS.
>� Live View & 1080* video.
>� Articulated 920K LCD.
>� OVF same as D90.
>� Weight and size below D90 �thanks� to the removal of the AF motor.

I'm surprised it took Nikon all this time to learn what Canon learned
by going to the EOS/EF mount. But hey, if their latest DSLRs are any
indication, they learn slow, but they learn good.
From: nospam on
In article
<c0695b63-992a-460a-bd61-d13498137dda(a)e37g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> With some manufacturers even providing adapters (Panasonic) to use
> other brand lenses (Leica) on their products and others allowing focus
> confirmation and image stabilization with any lens brand, Nikon seems
> to be going the opposite way, making it as hard to use legacy Nikon
> lenses on new products as possible. Note the specs on this new one.
> No AF motor. Which means it likely won't meter with the old manual
> lenses either. Only newer Nikkors will function.

wrong. almost all nikon lenses will work, and any lens with a cpu in it
will meter. few people who buy a new dslr care about using old manual
focus lenses. the d40 was the first to drop the internal motor and it
was one of the best selling dslrs ever.