From: Paul Furman on
RichA wrote:
> With some manufacturers even providing adapters (Panasonic) to use
> other brand lenses (Leica) on their products and others allowing focus
> confirmation and image stabilization with any lens brand, Nikon seems
> to be going the opposite way, making it as hard to use legacy Nikon
> lenses on new products as possible.

The D90 it replaces is the same. Nothing new here. The motor is out to
make the body smaller & more affordable. If you want a focus motor, get
a D300, D200, D80, D70, D50, D3 or D700.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

From: clw on
In article <03efj5hu3kg7u6610av5vvns6go8a61vea(a)4ax.com>,
J?rgen Exner <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Rich <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

> > I've used manual Nikkors on a D40/50, no metering, but I can live
> >with it by guestimating the exposure, taking a shot, them compensating
> >after seeing the initial image on the LCD, the effort doesn't bother me
> >because I know how to deal with it. How many users of entry-level Nikons
> >would put up with that?
>
> The real question is: how many would possibly care about it?

I have and still use a very old exposure meter occasionally for getting
the correct exposure in shaded areas or for portraits.
And, talk about entry level, I use a D-50.
From: Neil Harrington on
RichA wrote:
> With some manufacturers even providing adapters (Panasonic) to use
> other brand lenses (Leica) on their products and others allowing focus
> confirmation and image stabilization with any lens brand, Nikon seems
> to be going the opposite way, making it as hard to use legacy Nikon
> lenses on new products as possible. Note the specs on this new one.
> No AF motor. [ . . . ]

Seems reasonable to me. How many years has it been since Nikon produced a
new lens that didn't have the AF motor built in? I think the 10.5 fisheye
was the last one that required AF motor in the body, and that was over six
years ago. Why then keep saddling enthusiast-level bodies with the extra
weight, size and cost of what is really an inferior AF system that most
buyers will never use anyway? For those few who do want it, there will
always be plenty of older bodies available.

From: Bowser on
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 16:47:06 +0000, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 11:21:57 -0500, Bowser <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:
>>
>>I'm surprised it took Nikon all this time to learn what Canon learned
>>by going to the EOS/EF mount.
>

>It's true that Nikon was slow to adopt AF. Initially, Nikon chose the
>screwdriver drive system that was slow and heavy.
>
>But it was not very long before the first AF-I Nikkors were
>introduced, and these were soon followed by AF-S lenses with the
>"Silent Wave" focusing motors that were fast and near-silent in
>operation - very much the equal of Canon's USM range.
>
>The problem was, Nikon did not have access to the technology other
>than by paying expensive royalties to the patent holders, who in this
>case happened to be Canon. That was a disincentive to the wider and
>cheaper availability of AF-S lenses. Now those patents have expired,
>Nikon is moving more rapidly to an all-AF-S lens line, including
>inexpensive entry-level lenses.
>

>>But hey, if their latest DSLRs are any
>>indication, they learn slow, but they learn good.
>

>After years of dominance, it is strange to see Canon playing catch-up.

Not for me. Canon's first DSLRs were behind the Nikons, as well. These
things leap frog all the time, which is good for me. I love watching
the "switching" people jump from one to the other in the hopes that a
different name on the prism will suddenly turn them into Ansel
Scavullo.
From: Bruce on
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 15:22:57 -0500, Bowser <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:
>On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 16:47:06 +0000, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>After years of dominance, it is strange to see Canon playing catch-up.
>
>Not for me. Canon's first DSLRs were behind the Nikons, as well.

That's true. There was quite a gap between Nikon's D1 and the Canon
EOS 1D, although both Canon and Nikon were involved with earlier Kodak
based DSLRs which sold in penny numbers at astronomical prices.

>These things leap frog all the time, which is good for me. I love watching
>the "switching" people jump from one to the other in the hopes that a
>different name on the prism will suddenly turn them into Ansel
>Scavullo.

I have no need to switch. I have a Nikon D700 and a Canon EOS 5D (the
original 12 MP model). My Nikkors fit both camera bodies, I just need
a simple adapter to use them on the 5D.

This gives me time to choose what to replace the 5D with. It still
has plenty of life left in it. My first 5D was replaced by the D700.