From: RichA on
Once again, plastic falls short. Lack of oversight of products today
is allowing companies to import shoddy RF-emanating products that are
a problem, from computers with plastic box housings to set-top HDTV
boxes. Plastic and aluminum SUCK as RF shields. Only steel or copper
work well. Below is an example of the problem.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12869
From: U*U on

"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Once again, plastic falls short. Lack of oversight of products today
> is allowing companies to import shoddy RF-emanating products that are
> a problem, from computers with plastic box housings to set-top HDTV
> boxes. Plastic and aluminum SUCK as RF shields. Only steel or copper
> work well. Below is an example of the problem.
>
> http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12869

Wrong Mr. Engineer, aluminum is used in RF shields, as is bronze, stainless
steel, gold, tin and copper. Plastic can be coated with RF paint. So once
again Rich/RichA shows he knows nothing about what he prattles on about.

From: Eric Stevens on
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 00:29:40 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Once again, plastic falls short. Lack of oversight of products today
>is allowing companies to import shoddy RF-emanating products that are
>a problem, from computers with plastic box housings to set-top HDTV
>boxes. Plastic and aluminum SUCK as RF shields. Only steel or copper
>work well. Below is an example of the problem.
>
>http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12869

Shielding is designed to keep RF in. Your problem is that you cannot
keep RF out. You should know that your shielding will not keep out
X-Rays or Cosmic Rays, either.

Eric Stevens
From: Doug McDonald on
Eric Stevens wrote:

> Shielding is designed to keep RF in.

Shielding that keeps RF in will keep it out. In the same frequency range,
of course.

Doug McDonald
From: John McWilliams on
Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 00:29:40 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Once again, plastic falls short. Lack of oversight of products today
>> is allowing companies to import shoddy RF-emanating products that are
>> a problem, from computers with plastic box housings to set-top HDTV
>> boxes. Plastic and aluminum SUCK as RF shields. Only steel or copper
>> work well. Below is an example of the problem.
>>
>> http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12869
>
> Shielding is designed to keep RF in. Your problem is that you cannot
> keep RF out. You should know that your shielding will not keep out
> X-Rays or Cosmic Rays, either.

That's why we recommend actual *tin* foil, not the ubiquitius aluminum
foil for protective caps/hats.

--
john mcwilliams