From: isw on
In article
<b1761f8f-dde6-429f-b4ef-1f8eb9fd3b86(a)v25g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Once again, plastic falls short. Lack of oversight of products today
> is allowing companies to import shoddy RF-emanating products that are
> a problem, from computers with plastic box housings to set-top HDTV
> boxes. Plastic and aluminum SUCK as RF shields. Only steel or copper
> work well.

Steel is effective against magnetic fields, but not so much for electric
fields. Electric fields are suppressed by anything that's conductive;
the better the conductivity, the more the suppression. (Which is why
silver, copper, and aluminum work better than steel for that.)

Plastics by themselves are not good for either electric or magnetic
fields, but with the proper materials embedded in them (which can be
difficult to discern), they can be very effective.

Further, *every* "RF-eminating product" on the market is required by law
to pass the FCC's rather stringent emission regulations -- basically,
any digital device that has a clock frequency over 10 kHz is subject to
the rule, and that would include settop boxes, computers, cameras,
cellphones, ...

I've performed those tests on consumer products; it can be quite
difficult to achieve a passing score.

Isaac
From: Twibil on
On Dec 28, 4:22 am, -hh <recscuba_goo...(a)huntzinger.com> wrote:

> Obviously, however many holes his head currently has, its not enough
> holes.

An argument with a certain degree of caliber.