From: Paul Furman on
Shannon Tucker wrote:

> My problem with my D70 is that when trying to take candids in the
> context of barbecues, parties and family life, is that the camera
> intimidates people and gets in the way of what I want to capture? If
> people become aware of a point&shoot, it doesn't change their behavior
> as much and pics are more natural, IMHO. The frustration I have with
> most P&S's is that the shutter lags are measured in days rather than
> microseconds.

Try using the D70 from waist level, pre-focused, rather than held up to
your eye. It works well with just a bit of practice. Use a wide angle
lens. Something like a 20mm or 24mm f/2.8 lens should work well and is
quite compact and reasonably priced.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

From: Neil Harrington on

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> Shannon Tucker wrote:
>>
>> My problem with my D70 is that when trying to take candids in the
>> context of barbecues, parties and family life, is that the camera
>> intimidates people and gets in the way of what I want to capture? If
>> people become aware of a point&shoot, it doesn't change their behavior
>> as much and pics are more natural, IMHO. The frustration I have with
>> most P&S's is that the shutter lags are measured in days rather than
>> microseconds.
>
> Try using the D70 from waist level, pre-focused, rather than held up to
> your eye. It works well with just a bit of practice. Use a wide angle
> lens. Something like a 20mm or 24mm f/2.8 lens should work well and is
> quite compact and reasonably priced.

Hmmm. That is actually an approach in which Live View (which I've been
skeptical of) might be useful. I just this last week (finally) got a D90,
though I haven't really tried the Live View feature yet.