From: Paddy's Pig on
"me" <me(a)mine.net> wrote in message

>>What works?

Absolutely not.

> Does it have to be IR? There are some relatively inexpensive cable
> triggers. I have one that connects to an inexpensive GPC connector for my
> D300.

Fast forward a few weeks:

Okay now I've purchased a Phottix N8 from an ebay seller and it arrived
today.

I anxiously opened the package and found all the parts - the receiver, the
transmitter, and the cable - plux a battery that was shipped in its own
wrapper. As far as printed instructions go there was pretty much zilch...a
few words on the box and that's about it.

I inserted the battery and hooked everything up. Then tested the lights and
they all flashed okay so I know it's working. I plugged the cable onto my
10-pin connector and the receiver, then pressed the remote trigger and
nothing happens.

Which is pretty much what I expected because with my D70 and D80 I used the
little Nikon infra red trigger and I had to make an internal setting change
on the cameras before they'd receive the signal. I expect there's something
similar that I'll have to do on this D300s but I've scoured the owner's
manual and I'll be darned if I can find it.

Is anybody using one of these with a D300? What is the magic combination to
make it work?
--
Pat Durkin

From: LOL! on
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 15:34:58 -0700, "Paddy's Pig" <clovers(a)pacbell.net>
wrote:

>"me" <me(a)mine.net> wrote in message
>
>>>What works?
>
>Absolutely not.
>
>> Does it have to be IR? There are some relatively inexpensive cable
>> triggers. I have one that connects to an inexpensive GPC connector for my
>> D300.
>
>Fast forward a few weeks:
>

>Okay now I've purchased a Phottix N8 from an ebay seller and it arrived
>today.
>
>I anxiously opened the package and found all the parts - the receiver, the
>transmitter, and the cable - plux a battery that was shipped in its own
>wrapper. As far as printed instructions go there was pretty much zilch...a
>few words on the box and that's about it.
>
>I inserted the battery and hooked everything up. Then tested the lights and
>they all flashed okay so I know it's working. I plugged the cable onto my
>10-pin connector and the receiver, then pressed the remote trigger and
>nothing happens.
>
>Which is pretty much what I expected because with my D70 and D80 I used the
>little Nikon infra red trigger and I had to make an internal setting change
>on the cameras before they'd receive the signal. I expect there's something
>similar that I'll have to do on this D300s but I've scoured the owner's
>manual and I'll be darned if I can find it.
>
>Is anybody using one of these with a D300? What is the magic combination to
>make it work?

It's called "ditch the DSLR".

LOL!!
From: Paddy's Pig on
"LOL!" <lol(a)lol.org> wrote in message

>>Is anybody using one of these with a D300? What is the magic combination
>>to make it work?
>
> It's called "ditch the DSLR".
>
> LOL!!

Thanks for your excellent humor.
--
Pat Durkin

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-04-11 15:34:58 -0700, "Paddy's Pig" <clovers(a)pacbell.net> said:

> "me" <me(a)mine.net> wrote in message
>
>>> What works?
>
> Absolutely not.
>
>> Does it have to be IR? There are some relatively inexpensive cable
>> triggers. I have one that connects to an inexpensive GPC connector for my
>> D300.
>
> Fast forward a few weeks:
>

> Okay now I've purchased a Phottix N8 from an ebay seller and it arrived
> today.
>
> I anxiously opened the package and found all the parts - the receiver, the
> transmitter, and the cable - plux a battery that was shipped in its own
> wrapper. As far as printed instructions go there was pretty much zilch...a
> few words on the box and that's about it.
>
> I inserted the battery and hooked everything up. Then tested the lights and
> they all flashed okay so I know it's working. I plugged the cable onto my
> 10-pin connector and the receiver, then pressed the remote trigger and
> nothing happens.
>
> Which is pretty much what I expected because with my D70 and D80 I used the
> little Nikon infra red trigger and I had to make an internal setting change
> on the cameras before they'd receive the signal. I expect there's something
> similar that I'll have to do on this D300s but I've scoured the owner's
> manual and I'll be darned if I can find it.
>
> Is anybody using one of these with a D300? What is the magic combination to
> make it work?

Pat,
I think you have just had a caveat emptor moment with your E-Bay purchase.

B&H has the Nikon ML-3 wireless remote for the D300 @ $189.95 not $700.
<
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37754-USA/Nikon_4645_ML_3_Modulite_Remote_Control.html

I use the $59.95 Nikon MC-30 cable remote.
....and I also have the $17.95 ML-L3 IR remote for my D70.

Your first guess was right, that $9.93 was too good to be true.
Just remember that isn't a $150 camera you have there.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Paul Furman on
Savageduck wrote:
> On 2010-04-11 15:34:58 -0700, "Paddy's Pig" <clovers(a)pacbell.net> said:
>
>> "me" <me(a)mine.net> wrote in message

>> Absolutely not.
>>
>>> Does it have to be IR? There are some relatively inexpensive cable
>>> triggers. I have one that connects to an inexpensive GPC connector
>>> for my
>>> D300.
>>
>> Fast forward a few weeks:
>>

>> Okay now I've purchased a Phottix N8 from an ebay seller and it arrived
>> today.
>>
>> I anxiously opened the package and found all the parts - the receiver,
>> the
>> transmitter, and the cable - plux a battery that was shipped in its own
>> wrapper. As far as printed instructions go there was pretty much
>> zilch...a
>> few words on the box and that's about it.
>>
>> I inserted the battery and hooked everything up. Then tested the
>> lights and
>> they all flashed okay so I know it's working. I plugged the cable
>> onto my
>> 10-pin connector and the receiver, then pressed the remote trigger and
>> nothing happens.
>>
>> Which is pretty much what I expected because with my D70 and D80 I
>> used the
>> little Nikon infra red trigger and I had to make an internal setting
>> change
>> on the cameras before they'd receive the signal. I expect there's
>> something
>> similar that I'll have to do on this D300s but I've scoured the owner's
>> manual and I'll be darned if I can find it.
>>
>> Is anybody using one of these with a D300? What is the magic
>> combination to
>> make it work?
>
> Pat,
> I think you have just had a caveat emptor moment with your E-Bay purchase.
>
> B&H has the Nikon ML-3 wireless remote for the D300 @ $189.95 not $700.
> <
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37754-USA/Nikon_4645_ML_3_Modulite_Remote_Control.html
>

> I use the $59.95 Nikon MC-30 cable remote.

I use an old MC-20, which lacks a timer but otherwise fine.

> ...and I also have the $17.95 ML-L3 IR remote for my D70.
>
> Your first guess was right, that $9.93 was too good to be true.
> Just remember that isn't a $150 camera you have there.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net