From: Savageduck on
On 2010-04-12 09:06:26 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net> said:

> Savageduck wrote:
>> On 2010-04-11 15:34:58 -0700, "Paddy's Pig" <clovers(a)pacbell.net> said:
>>
>>> "me" <me(a)mine.net> wrote in message

>>> Absolutely not.

>>> Fast forward a few weeks:
>>>

>>> Okay now I've purchased a Phottix N8 from an ebay seller and it arrived
>>> today.
>>>
>>> I anxiously opened the package and found all the parts - the receiver, the
>>> transmitter, and the cable - plux a battery that was shipped in its own
>>> wrapper. As far as printed instructions go there was pretty much zilch...a
>>> few words on the box and that's about it.
>>>
>>> I inserted the battery and hooked everything up. Then tested the lights and
>>> they all flashed okay so I know it's working. I plugged the cable onto my
>>> 10-pin connector and the receiver, then pressed the remote trigger and
>>> nothing happens.
>>>
>>> Which is pretty much what I expected because with my D70 and D80 I used the
>>> little Nikon infra red trigger and I had to make an internal setting change
>>> on the cameras before they'd receive the signal. I expect there's something
>>> similar that I'll have to do on this D300s but I've scoured the owner's
>>> manual and I'll be darned if I can find it.
>>>
>>> Is anybody using one of these with a D300? What is the magic combination to
>>> make it work?
>>
>> Pat,
>> I think you have just had a caveat emptor moment with your E-Bay purchase.
>>
>> B&H has the Nikon ML-3 wireless remote for the D300 @ $189.95 not $700.
>> <
>> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37754-USA/Nikon_4645_ML_3_Modulite_Remote_Control.html

>> use the $59.95 Nikon MC-30 cable remote.
>
> I use an old MC-20, which lacks a timer but otherwise fine.
>

>> ...and I also have the $17.95 ML-L3 IR remote for my D70.
>>
>> Your first guess was right, that $9.93 was too good to be true.
>> Just remember that isn't a $150 camera you have there.

BTW the ML-3 isn't wireless, it is IR.

I think the important thing here is, Pat doesn't have to spent $700 to
have a remote or cable release for his D300. However there are times
that seemingly bargain item is just wasted money.

I think the $700 item he was refering to is the WT-4a which is a far
different animal to any of the remote IR or cable release devices.
That is used for WiFi file Tx between camera & computer, and can with
Camera control Pro 2 software, be used for full remote control from a
computer.

Now this would be a neat use for an iPad!

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Paddy's Pig on

>> Is anybody using one of these with a D300? What is the magic combination
>> make it work?
>
> Pat,
> I think you have just had a caveat emptor moment with your E-Bay purchase.
>
> B&H has the Nikon ML-3 wireless remote for the D300 @ $189.95 not $700.
> <
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37754-USA/Nikon_4645_ML_3_Modulite_Remote_Control.html
>>

> I use the $59.95 Nikon MC-30 cable remote. ...and I also have the $17.95
> ML-L3 IR remote for my D70.
>
> Your first guess was right, that $9.93 was too good to be true.
> Just remember that isn't a $150 camera you have there. --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Hi SD! Guess what? I got it runnin'!

I googled "problems Phottix" and found an anecdote by a guy who said he had
a similar problem when his arrived. The lights lit up and flashed on cue
but nothing happened in the camera. He says he replaced the battery in the
receiver and BINGO everything was right with the world.

Not wanting to run down to Radio Shack just yet for a replacement battery I
decided to remove the existing battery and re-insert it to make sure it had
optimal contact with all the right pressure points. I can now report that
everything is BINGO in my world too.
--
Pat Durkin

PS - I was all set to pack it up and send it back and follow your suggestion
on that ML-3 from B&H. Maybe I'll still do it if this thing shoots craps
some day but from what I've read a lot of pros use Phottix and like it fine.
We'll see.

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-04-12 09:47:40 -0700, "Paddy's Pig" <clovers(a)pacbell.net> said:

> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>
>>> Is anybody using one of these with a D300? What is the magic combination
>>> make it work?
>>
>> Pat,
>> I think you have just had a caveat emptor moment with your E-Bay purchase.
>>
>> B&H has the Nikon ML-3 wireless remote for the D300 @ $189.95 not $700.
>> <
>> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37754-USA/Nikon_4645_ML_3_Modulite_Remote_Control.html

>> use the $59.95 Nikon MC-30 cable remote. ...and I also have the $17.95
>> ML-L3 IR remote for my D70.
>>
>> Your first guess was right, that $9.93 was too good to be true.
>> Just remember that isn't a $150 camera you have there. --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Savageduck
>

> Hi SD! Guess what? I got it runnin'!
>
> I googled "problems Phottix" and found an anecdote by a guy who said he had
> a similar problem when his arrived. The lights lit up and flashed on cue
> but nothing happened in the camera. He says he replaced the battery in the
> receiver and BINGO everything was right with the world.
>
> Not wanting to run down to Radio Shack just yet for a replacement battery I
> decided to remove the existing battery and re-insert it to make sure it had
> optimal contact with all the right pressure points. I can now report that
> everything is BINGO in my world too.

Then all is well in the World.

Time to hunt down some more great cars. I still don't like the modern
wheels on that '39 Pontiac. ;-)

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: SamSez on
"Paddy's Pig" <clovers(a)pacbell.net> wrote in

> Hi SD! Guess what? I got it runnin'!
>
> I googled "problems Phottix" and found an anecdote by a guy who said
> he had a similar problem when his arrived. The lights lit up and
> flashed on cue but nothing happened in the camera. He says he
> replaced the battery in the receiver and BINGO everything was right
> with the world.
>
> Not wanting to run down to Radio Shack just yet for a replacement
> battery I decided to remove the existing battery and re-insert it to
> make sure it had optimal contact with all the right pressure points.
> I can now report that everything is BINGO in my world too.

I bought a phottix n8 about some 20 months ago for my d300 and use it now
with my d300s. It works great -- unbelievably great given the price.
The only problem I ever had with it was when I once yanked the cord [to
excess] and had to re-solder the connection inside the receiver. It's
hard to believe how much more you can pay for the same functionality !

From: Robert Haar on
On 4/12/10 12:41 PM, "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> BTW the ML-3 isn't wireless, it is IR.

Huh? I see no wires?