From: Irwell on
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 15:41:55 -0500, me(a)privacy.net wrote:

> I'm not an expert photog by any means.
>
> I'm looking a good dig cam that has a GOOD zoom and can
> be used in outdoor scenarios such as long distance bike
> trips, beach, camping, etc
>
> I have no idea where to start
>
> Would like to keep price around $200 if possible
>
> Any pointers out there? THANKS!

Punch in your requirements at this site
for starters, refine it as you go along.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp
From: Peter Huebner on
In article <ssc4s59ibk7e0oa75c1iatj5mtb7ccebtt(a)4ax.com>, me(a)privacy.net
says...

> I'm not an expert photog by any means.
>
> I'm looking a good dig cam that has a GOOD zoom and can
> be used in outdoor scenarios such as long distance bike
> trips, beach, camping, etc
>
> I have no idea where to start
>
> Would like to keep price around $200 if possible
>
> Any pointers out there? THANKS!

Olympus specifically sells a small rugged digicam. The model has the
name 'tough' in it. Therre are iterations from tough 3000 to tough 8000
as far as I am aware.

Perfect for what you want, Oly-usa lists the 8000 for $380 but that's
not going to be street price, most likely. Use the shopping sites to
find a model/price combo that suits.

-P.

From: me on
Peter Huebner <no.one(a)this.address> wrote:

>Olympus specifically sells a small rugged digicam. The model has the
>name 'tough' in it. Therre are iterations from tough 3000 to tough 8000
>as far as I am aware.
>
>Perfect for what you want, Oly-usa lists the 8000 for $380 but that's
>not going to be street price, most likely. Use the shopping sites to
>find a model/price combo that suits.

Thanks guys!!

That at least gives me a place to start!

How likely is it I could find a used model tho? Or
refurb?
From: ransley on
On Apr 11, 3:41 pm, m...(a)privacy.net wrote:
> I'm not an expert photog by any means.
>
> I'm looking a good dig cam that has a GOOD zoom and can
> be used in outdoor scenarios such as long distance bike
> trips, beach, camping, etc
>
> I have no idea where to start
>
> Would like to keep price around $200 if possible
>
> Any pointers out there? THANKS!

Dpreview did a review of all waterproof P&S, Canon came out on top,
but Panasonic has a new entry and I dont think was included and may
not even be out yet, I would find comparison reviews like the one at
dpreview. The Olympus is nice and small and tough , but Canon did a
better photo.
From: SMS on
On 11/04/10 1:41 PM, me(a)privacy.net wrote:
> I'm not an expert photog by any means.
>
> I'm looking a good dig cam that has a GOOD zoom and can
> be used in outdoor scenarios such as long distance bike
> trips, beach, camping, etc
>
> I have no idea where to start
>
> Would like to keep price around $200 if possible
>
> Any pointers out there? THANKS!

Probably the Pentax Optio W80 is your best bet. $171 from Adorama.
28-140mm lens, and it's unusual to have that range even in a
non-ruggedized camera.