From: SMS on
On 14/04/10 1:31 PM, me wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:28:14 -0700, SMS<scharf.steven(a)geemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/04/10 1:41 PM, me(a)privacy.net wrote:
>>> I'm not an expert photog by any means.
>>>
>>> I'm looking a good dig cam that has a GOOD zoom and can
>>> be used in outdoor scenarios such as long distance bike
>>> trips, beach, camping, etc
>>>
>>> I have no idea where to start
>>>
>>> Would like to keep price around $200 if possible
>>>
>>> Any pointers out there? THANKS!
>>
>> Probably the Pentax Optio W80 is your best bet. $171 from Adorama.
>> 28-140mm lens, and it's unusual to have that range even in a
>> non-ruggedized camera.
>
> Most of the reviews I saw complained about the noise in the images,
> even at the lowest ISO.

This is true. This camera's claim to fame is the waterproofness and
ruggedness, not the image quality.
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-04-14 14:04:26 -0700, me(a)privacy.net said:

> me <me(a)mine.net> wrote:
>
>> Most of the reviews I saw complained about the noise in the images,
>> even at the lowest ISO.
>

> Hmm..... so which model to consider than?

Step up and get yourself a Canon G11.
It is well built and tough. The image quality is good, and if you want
to go wet there is an accessory sealed enclosure.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong11/

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: me on
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:04:26 -0500, me(a)privacy.net wrote:

>me <me(a)mine.net> wrote:
>
>>Most of the reviews I saw complained about the noise in the images,
>>even at the lowest ISO.
>

>Hmm..... so which model to consider than?

SMS' mention of the W80 prompted me to look into this genre as I've
been looking to replace a Casio EX-Z70 which died a quick death. The
W80 is "last years" model, there is now a W90 replacement at a
significant price increase as well as the other cameras of this type.

http://reviews.photographyreview.com/blog/outdoor-waterproof-digital-cameras/

To be honest, I think I may give the W80 a try myself given the cost
and set it for 7 or 5MP , as I'm just looking for something tough to
stuff in a pocket and carry either with or without a dslr. The Casio
first suffered from dust and condensation inside and then the
extending lens gave up the ghost after way too few shots. There should
have been a way to lock the lens when stuffed in ones' pocket.