From: Dudley Hanks on
Just wondering if anybody has played around with the IrfanView Oil Paint
effect?

Does it just produce an over-saturated image? Blend colours together?

If you've tried it, what do you think of it?

Take Care,
Dudley

From: Chrlz on
On Apr 11, 3:40 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
> Just wondering if anybody has played around with the IrfanView Oil Paint
> effect?
>
> Does it just produce an over-saturated image?  Blend colours together?
>
> If  you've tried it, what do you think of it?
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

No, I hadn't, but I just tried it then, in Irfanview 4.1. It operates
at a pretty small detail level, and doesn't have any adjustment in my
version. No, it doesn't change the saturation or contrast, and it
might be best described as giving it a speckled/mottled appearance.
It's a fairly 'hard', jagged effect and only works at about the 3-6
pixel radius range, by the looks..

I can't really say it looks much like an oil painting, and no, I don't
like it...

What were you planning to do with it, Dudley?

From: LOL! on
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 01:29:37 -0700 (PDT), Chrlz <mark.thomas.7(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Apr 11, 3:40�pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>> Just wondering if anybody has played around with the IrfanView Oil Paint
>> effect?
>>
>> Does it just produce an over-saturated image? �Blend colours together?
>>
>> If �you've tried it, what do you think of it?
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Dudley
>
>No, I hadn't, but I just tried it then, in Irfanview 4.1. It operates
>at a pretty small detail level, and doesn't have any adjustment in my
>version. No, it doesn't change the saturation or contrast, and it
>might be best described as giving it a speckled/mottled appearance.
>It's a fairly 'hard', jagged effect and only works at about the 3-6
>pixel radius range, by the looks..
>
>I can't really say it looks much like an oil painting, and no, I don't
>like it...
>
>What were you planning to do with it, Dudley?

Oh look! Dudley's got another seeing-eye dog!

LOL!!!!!!!!

From: Dudley Hanks on

"Chrlz" <mark.thomas.7(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Apr 11, 3:40 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
> Just wondering if anybody has played around with the IrfanView Oil Paint
> effect?
>
> Does it just produce an over-saturated image? Blend colours together?
>
> If you've tried it, what do you think of it?
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

No, I hadn't, but I just tried it then, in Irfanview 4.1. It operates
at a pretty small detail level, and doesn't have any adjustment in my
version. No, it doesn't change the saturation or contrast, and it
might be best described as giving it a speckled/mottled appearance.
It's a fairly 'hard', jagged effect and only works at about the 3-6
pixel radius range, by the looks..

I can't really say it looks much like an oil painting, and no, I don't
like it...

What were you planning to do with it, Dudley?

Thanks, Mark, appreciate the feedback.

I've just downloaded IrfanView and installed it, so I'm checking out what is
accessible and what isn't.

At first blush, it seems a lot better than Adobe, with keyboard control even
extended to selecting parts of images. While crude, I think I'll be able to
do a lot more post processing myself. I'm more than a bit excited that I
might actually be able to produce a finished photo, without any sighted
assistance.

With that in mind, I am trying to get a mental picture of how some of the
effects actually look to sighted individuals. I thought the oil painting
effect might be a way to smooth or blend colours to produce less harsh
portraits, without having to go the whole soft focus route. But it doesn't
sound like the effect is all that compatible with formal portraits.
Although, the harsh, abrasive effect might work for some macho male types --
especially with a rocky or desert-type background, even athletes in uniform.

Also, during holidays, I'll be visiting some of the rocky Oregon beaches
this year, so it might work for some of those shots.

I'll play around with it a bit and post some pics to se what everybody
thinks. But, right now, I'm working on a shot for the GDB calendar.

Last year's calendar had a pic of Mich and I taken while we were out hiking.
We'd stopped for a rest, and my wife caught a candid shot of us taking a
break while crossing a bridge. I'm hoping to get a shot in this year's
calendar that shows Mich in action.

Once again, thanks for the info.

Take Care,
Dudley

From: Dudley Hanks on

"LOL!" <lol(a)lol.org> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 01:29:37 -0700 (PDT), Chrlz <mark.thomas.7(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Apr 11, 3:40 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <dha...(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>>> Just wondering if anybody has played around with the IrfanView Oil Paint
>>> effect?
>>>
>>> Does it just produce an over-saturated image? Blend colours together?
>>>
>>> If you've tried it, what do you think of it?
>>>
>>> Take Care,
>>> Dudley
>>
>>No, I hadn't, but I just tried it then, in Irfanview 4.1. It operates
>>at a pretty small detail level, and doesn't have any adjustment in my
>>version. No, it doesn't change the saturation or contrast, and it
>>might be best described as giving it a speckled/mottled appearance.
>>It's a fairly 'hard', jagged effect and only works at about the 3-6
>>pixel radius range, by the looks..
>>
>>I can't really say it looks much like an oil painting, and no, I don't
>>like it...
>>
>>What were you planning to do with it, Dudley?
>
> Oh look! Dudley's got another seeing-eye dog!

Some people have a heart, some don't ...

Take Care,
Dudley