From: Rich on
Because if they were, their zoom lenses would be removable, and ultra-
fast primes would be available to compensate for their horrible high
ISO performance. It is possible a P&S (high end like a G11) could be
outfitted with a 12mm f0.7 lens for relatively low cost ($600 or so).
Given that, since it has to support a very small sensor, it just might
be a solution for the worst problem to plague the small-sensored P&S
and could inject some life into a dying class of camera.
From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 20:42:28 -0700, Rich wrote:

> Because if they were, their zoom lenses would be removable, and ultra-
> fast primes would be available to compensate for their horrible high ISO
> performance. It is possible a P&S (high end like a G11) could be
> outfitted with a 12mm f0.7 lens for relatively low cost ($600 or so).
> Given that, since it has to support a very small sensor, it just might
> be a solution for the worst problem to plague the small-sensored P&S and
> could inject some life into a dying class of camera.

Have you ever seen a 50mm F/0.7 design? A scaled down version might be
less expensive in terms of materials, but the extra precision (not only
for glass elements, but for the mount itself as well) required certainly
isn't cheap by any standards.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: Paul Furman on
Robert Spanjaard wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 20:42:28 -0700, Rich wrote:
>
>> Because if they were, their zoom lenses would be removable, and ultra-
>> fast primes would be available to compensate for their horrible high ISO
>> performance. It is possible a P&S (high end like a G11) could be
>> outfitted with a 12mm f0.7 lens for relatively low cost ($600 or so).
>> Given that, since it has to support a very small sensor, it just might
>> be a solution for the worst problem to plague the small-sensored P&S and
>> could inject some life into a dying class of camera.
>
> Have you ever seen a 50mm F/0.7 design? A scaled down version might be
> less expensive in terms of materials, but the extra precision (not only
> for glass elements, but for the mount itself as well) required certainly
> isn't cheap by any standards.

There are some fast short video lenses but they are expensive. 12mm is
still a long lens on a small sensor too.
From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 12:46:20 -0700, Paul Furman wrote:

>> Have you ever seen a 50mm F/0.7 design? A scaled down version might be
>> less expensive in terms of materials, but the extra precision (not only
>> for glass elements, but for the mount itself as well) required
>> certainly isn't cheap by any standards.
>
> There are some fast short video lenses but they are expensive. 12mm is
> still a long lens on a small sensor too.

My reference to a 50mm is no coincidence.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: Rich on
On Apr 10, 5:22 pm, Robert Spanjaard <spamt...(a)arumes.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 20:42:28 -0700, Rich wrote:
> > Because if they were, their zoom lenses would be removable, and ultra-
> > fast primes would be available to compensate for their horrible high ISO
> > performance.  It is possible a P&S (high end like a G11) could be
> > outfitted with a 12mm f0.7 lens for relatively low cost ($600 or so).
> > Given that, since it has to support a very small sensor, it just might
> > be a solution for the worst problem to plague the small-sensored P&S and
> > could inject some life into a dying class of camera.
>
> Have you ever seen a 50mm F/0.7 design? A scaled down version might be
> less expensive in terms of materials, but the extra precision (not only
> for glass elements, but for the mount itself as well) required certainly
> isn't cheap by any standards.

Yes, a Fuji 50mm f0.7 made for a 1" CCTV sensor. But 50mm is too long
to be a walk-around lens for a camera with a small (P&S) sensor.
Hence, the 12mm suggestion. Plus, lets face it, no camera lens in the
sub-1.4 speed class turns in ultra sharp images, so it need not be
razor sharp wide open, just sharp enough to be suitable for low-light
shots.