From: Bubba on
It's been a very long time since I've posted here. I haven't bought a
new point and shoot since 2007 (and appreciate reading archived posts
about Canon's 7.1 sensor).

Is RAW mode the *only* advantage of the G11? If the G11 is so great,
why does it have such small optical zoom (on different sites, its zoom
is listed as only 5x; on others, I see 20x...which is why I'm
considering the SX 20).

My absolute, numero uno priority is to get a camera without the red
flare (and for that matter, the yellow flare) that has consistently
ruined perfectly focused photographs with my PowerShots. If the SX 20
still gives red flare, I won't upgrade.

If another maker within the $400--$500 price range offers a point-and-
shoot that eliminates red flare, please tell me what it is. Thanks.
From: Jeff R. on

"Bubba" <digitalrube(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> It's been a very long time since I've posted here. I haven't bought a
> new point and shoot since 2007 (and appreciate reading archived posts
> about Canon's 7.1 sensor).
>
> Is RAW mode the *only* advantage of the G11? If the G11 is so great,
> why does it have such small optical zoom (on different sites, its zoom
> is listed as only 5x; on others, I see 20x...which is why I'm
> considering the SX 20).
>
> My absolute, numero uno priority is to get a camera without the red
> flare (and for that matter, the yellow flare) that has consistently
> ruined perfectly focused photographs with my PowerShots. If the SX 20
> still gives red flare, I won't upgrade.
>
> If another maker within the $400--$500 price range offers a point-and-
> shoot that eliminates red flare, please tell me what it is. Thanks.

Can't comment on the G11, but I do like the controls on my G10 (same as the
G11).
ISO select and exposure compensation via two intuitive and simple dials,
instead of inconvenient stepped-through menus.

Brilliant!

I've never suffered red flaring with the G10, but I hear Amoxicillin works
wonders.

--
Jeff R.

From: Bubba on
On Apr 9, 9:27 am, "Jeff R." <cont...(a)this.ng> wrote:

> Can't comment on the G11, but I do like the controls on my G10 (same as the
> G11).
> ISO select and exposure compensation via two intuitive and simple dials,
> instead of inconvenient stepped-through menus.
>
> Brilliant!
>
> I've never suffered red flaring with the G10, but I hear Amoxicillin works
> wonders.

:) Thanks for the feedback. I've read enough and know enough to know
that RAW is something that will *always* sit on my shelf. I hear such
raves about the G11 that I definitely want to get it; on the other
hand, if the SX 20 will give greater optical zoom, I would definitely
"sacrifice" the RAW.
From: Ofnuts on
On 09/04/2010 14:50, Bubba wrote:
> It's been a very long time since I've posted here. I haven't bought a
> new point and shoot since 2007 (and appreciate reading archived posts
> about Canon's 7.1 sensor).
>
> Is RAW mode the *only* advantage of the G11? If the G11 is so great,
> why does it have such small optical zoom (on different sites, its zoom
> is listed as only 5x; on others, I see 20x...which is why I'm
> considering the SX 20).
>
> My absolute, numero uno priority is to get a camera without the red
> flare (and for that matter, the yellow flare) that has consistently
> ruined perfectly focused photographs with my PowerShots. If the SX 20
> still gives red flare, I won't upgrade.
>
> If another maker within the $400--$500 price range offers a point-and-
> shoot that eliminates red flare, please tell me what it is. Thanks.

See
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_g11%2Ccanon_sx20is&show=all>

The G11 has some things that make it more professional: remote control,
flash hot-shoe, lens thread for filter and optical add-ons, optical
viewfinder.

The SX20 has more pixels and a 4x longer zoom.
--
Bertrand
From: DanP on
On 9 Apr, 13:50, Bubba <digitalr...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> It's been a very long time since I've posted here. I haven't bought a
> new point and shoot since 2007 (and appreciate reading archived posts
> about Canon's 7.1 sensor).
>
> Is RAW mode the *only* advantage of the G11? If the G11 is so great,
> why does it have such small optical zoom (on different sites, its zoom
> is listed as only 5x; on others, I see 20x...which is why I'm
> considering the SX 20).

A zoom range of 20x (28-560mm equiv) is a Jack of all trades and
master of none.
I own a Canon SX 100 with 10x zoom range and I can see some chromatic
aberration.

Take a Sd card to a shop and ask the to let you take pictures with a
demo SX20 camera.
Use the full zoom range and try to find something with little objects
with high contrast look at them in the house.

If you are happy with it buy it.

DanP