From: Bubba on
On Apr 10, 6:11 am, Chris Malcolm <c...(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> All you need is a camera which will let you adjust exposure.  Some
> which don't let you adjust it specifically will have a mode for taking
> backlit photographs which will do the same thing. But it's easier and
> better with a P&S which allows you full manual control of exposure and
> white balance, which most of the top end models do.

What I really wanted was the SX1. It disappeared from retailers the
day I was going to order it, order it because it has that CMOS sensor
I believe might help the red flare problem. Now it's back at Canon,
but more expensive than I planned. Still, it's worth it if I won't
waste $400 to save $100.

Do CMOS sensors end red flare?
From: Chris Malcolm on
Bubba <digitalrube(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 10, 6:11?am, Chris Malcolm <c...(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> All you need is a camera which will let you adjust exposure. ?Some
>> which don't let you adjust it specifically will have a mode for taking
>> backlit photographs which will do the same thing. But it's easier and
>> better with a P&S which allows you full manual control of exposure and
>> white balance, which most of the top end models do.

> What I really wanted was the SX1. It disappeared from retailers the
> day I was going to order it, order it because it has that CMOS sensor
> I believe might help the red flare problem. Now it's back at Canon,
> but more expensive than I planned. Still, it's worth it if I won't
> waste $400 to save $100.

> Do CMOS sensors end red flare?

Nothing to do with ype of sensor. It happens when taking photographs
of exaggeratedly red things with a camera whose auto jpeg settings are
set to exaggerate colours to please the plebs.

--
Chris Malcolm
From: John McWilliams on
Chris Malcolm wrote:
> Bubba <digitalrube(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 10, 6:11?am, Chris Malcolm <c...(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> All you need is a camera which will let you adjust exposure. ?Some
>>> which don't let you adjust it specifically will have a mode for taking
>>> backlit photographs which will do the same thing. But it's easier and
>>> better with a P&S which allows you full manual control of exposure and
>>> white balance, which most of the top end models do.
>
>> What I really wanted was the SX1. It disappeared from retailers the
>> day I was going to order it, order it because it has that CMOS sensor
>> I believe might help the red flare problem. Now it's back at Canon,
>> but more expensive than I planned. Still, it's worth it if I won't
>> waste $400 to save $100.
>
>> Do CMOS sensors end red flare?
>
> Nothing to do with ype of sensor. It happens when taking photographs
> of exaggeratedly red things with a camera whose auto jpeg settings are
> set to exaggerate colours to please the plebs.

Well, sure in camera JPEG settings may be at fault, but sensor and
sensor processors play a role here, too.

Best fix is to shoot RAW and use an image processor that can adjust
virtually all parameters.

--
john mcwilliams