From: Savageduck on
On 2010-03-11 18:55:18 -0800, "Buttlvr" <azaz(a)azaz.azaz> said:
-------------------------

> I'm in two minds when it comes to Geo-tagging.
>
> I like it when other people give the location, as I like looking at
> other peoples photo's from all over the world. However, for my own
> photos I just rely on keywording.

Geo tagging can be useful for more than personal indexing and keyword
filtering.
There are functions beyond the recreational. Try real estate,
terrestrial survey, crime scene photography, documentation of animal &
bird sightings, and all sorts of other research projects.

As to your personal preferences, that is always your option. Just
consider that it adds a whole new dimension to your use of keyword
indexing and filtering.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Stuffed Crust on
In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems RG <rg(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> I prefer this approach to having a gps receiver tethered to my D300. I
> carry the Garmin while hiking in the field anyway, and this leaves the D300
> unencumbered and both the hotshoe and 10-pin connector unused and available.

One thing that seems to be the best of both worlds is the rise of
bluetooth GPSes; there are now at least three different bluetooth
receivers that fit into the 10-pin socket, and will work with pretty
much any bluetooth-enabled GPS unit on the market.

- Solomon

--
Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet dot org
Melbourne, FL ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^
From: Alfred Molon on
In article <mqGdncg_1Ntu5ATWnZ2dnUVZ_qWdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
alan.browne(a)FreelunchVideotron.ca says...
> Just curious as to who logs their outdoor activities with a GPS.

I posted this question here last year and in the end bought a Nokia
mobile phone with GPS. Installed a Java application for the logging. The
phone doubled as a GPS navigation system, which we needed since we
rented a car during our last trip in Jordan.
The major reason for choosing the Nokia phone was the availability of
navigation maps for Jordan.

The phone is ok, although it occasionally crashed and had to be
restarted.

I now have .gpx data files which I can match with the images with an
application called geosetter.