From: Mark Hobley on
Manuel Rodriguez <aa5(a)gmx.net> wrote:
> Oh, little misunderstanding. I also can edit the /etc files with nano
> or vi. But i think it would be easier to have a graphical frontend.
> Like the ubuntu "networkmanager" for /etc/network/interfaces. Or the
> ubuntu grub editor, which edits grub.conf.

There is a tool called linuxconf, which provides a graphical configuration
control panel. It is extensible via modules, so you should be able to extend
this to cover additional settings as you require by writing additional modules.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Feb 8, 1:08 pm, markhob...(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com (Mark
Hobley) wrote:
> Manuel Rodriguez <a...(a)gmx.net> wrote:
> > Oh, little misunderstanding. I also can edit the /etc files with nano
> > or vi. But i think it would be easier to have a graphical frontend.
> > Like the ubuntu "networkmanager" for /etc/network/interfaces. Or the
> > ubuntu grub editor, which edits grub.conf.
>
> There is a tool called linuxconf, which provides a graphical configuration
> control panel. It is extensible via modules, so you should be able to extend
> this to cover additional settings as you require by writing additional modules.
>
> Mark.

Linuxconf hasn't had an update in 5 years. The tools available for
particular Linux distributions vary widely, and are often specific to
specific features: "yumex" for yum software updates on RHEL, "system-
config-network" for network setups on RHEL, "YaST" for all sorts of
configurations on SuSE, "lilac" on various Fedora and Debian based
platforms for Nagios, etc.

Frankly, I prefer Webmin wherever feasible: it's a better interface
and more robust, by far, than many of the other GUI's. But its
completeness relies on people writing good components to manage parts
of /etc/, and creating *those* is often not part of the author's
plans. CUPS, for example, is just nasty to configure graphically due
to missing access to core components, such as the text->Postscript
page size settings.