From: Manuel Rodriguez on
It seems, that /etc and its subdirectories is very complex. So i need
help by a graphical user interface (GUI). Exists such a programm?

--
Manuel Rodriguez
http://aa5new.wordpress.com
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Manuel Rodriguez wrote:
> It seems, that /etc and its subdirectories is very complex. So i need
> help by a graphical user interface (GUI). Exists such a programm?

On my system, its accessible to view by the normal file browser.

OK since most of it is root only write permissions, you will have to
edit files in a different way.

However, if you have to ask this question, it suggests you shouldn't be
touching it anyway.

From: Manuel Rodriguez on
On 8 Feb., 13:14, The Natural Philosopher <t...(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:
> Manuel Rodriguez wrote:
> > It seems, that /etc and its subdirectories is very complex. So i need
> > help by a graphical user interface (GUI). Exists such a programm?
>
> On my system, its accessible to view by the normal file browser.
>
> OK since most of it is root only write permissions, you will have to
> edit files in a different way.
>
> However, if you have to ask this question, it suggests you shouldn't be
> touching it anyway.
>
> > --
> > Manuel Rodriguez
> >http://aa5new.wordpress.com

Oh, little misunderstanding. I also can edit the /etc files with nano
or vi. But i think it would be easier to have a graphical frontend.
Like the ubuntu "networkmanager" for /etc/network/interfaces. Or the
ubuntu grub editor, which edits grub.conf.
From: Bit Twister on
On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 02:51:45 -0800 (PST), Manuel Rodriguez wrote:
> It seems, that /etc and its subdirectories is very complex.

Not really. Pretty simple as a rule.

> So i need
> help by a graphical user interface (GUI). Exists such a programm?

Yeouch, all knowing GUI /etc/* configuration manager does not exists.

Closest application that comes to mind is webmin. Although it does
have some checks on some input for some configuration files, you have
to know what to enter and what their impact will be on the system.

Using a GUI wrapper around configuration files will hamper you.

Configuration files may have comments which provide information
you need for making decisions. GUI tool will not show those comments.

Example: you want to setup mcrypt in php. In GUI app you would need to
know the variable name and value not to mention name of configuration file.

Using an editor and looking through the php configuration file you
would find where/how to set algorithms and modes. :)
Snippet follows:

[mcrypt]
; For more information about mcrypt settings see http://php.net/mcrypt-module-open

; Directory where to load mcrypt algorithms
; Default: Compiled in into libmcrypt (usually /usr/local/lib/libmcrypt)
;mcrypt.algorithms_dir=

; Directory where to load mcrypt modes
; Default: Compiled in into libmcrypt (usually /usr/local/lib/libmcrypt)
;mcrypt.modes_dir=

From: Doug Freyburger on
Manuel Rodriguez wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher <t...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> However, if you have to ask this question, it suggests you shouldn't be
>> touching it anyway.
>
> Oh, little misunderstanding. I also can edit the /etc files with nano
> or vi. But i think it would be easier to have a graphical frontend.

If you contemplate using an editor other than vi on files under /etc, to
be qualified to edit them with any other editor you need to be able to
explain why it is normal to edit them with vi. TNP's earlier statement
"However, if you have to ask this question. ..." continues to apply.

> Like the ubuntu "networkmanager" for /etc/network/interfaces. Or the
> ubuntu grub editor, which edits grub.conf.

Custom widgets come complete with a lot of checking mechanisms to ensure
their output is good. You want that not just a GUI that lets you
destroy the contents of the files. Under /etc the files are important
enough that a custom widget for each one is a good plan. Understanding
the contents of the files and why their permissions are what they are is
an even better plan.