From: Manuel Rodriguez on
Bootloader GRUB has similar behavior like a mini-operating-system: it
can draw images (splashscreen), can boot from network (ifconfig
compiled into) and print files to screen (command cat). Is it possible
to compile a webbrowser like w3m into grub, so i have a boottime of 2
seconds?
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Feb 7, 4:06 pm, Manuel Rodriguez <a...(a)gmx.net> wrote:
> Bootloader GRUB has similar behavior like a mini-operating-system: it
> can draw images (splashscreen), can boot from network (ifconfig
> compiled into) and print files to screen (command cat). Is it possible
> to compile a webbrowser like w3m into grub, so i have a boottime of 2
> seconds?

Oh, dear god. I think not: grub needs to load the *kernel*, and starts
reading your "init" scripts, and starts up the "init" deamon to run
serial lines and services in /etc/inittab. All of that usually takes
some time to do, and would otherwise leave your system without an
active network (which makes your webbrowser pointless).

It's certainly possible with many configurations to be booted more
quickly. Between LinuxBIOS to speed the boot loading, and various
parallelization tools to speed init scripts, you can shrink that time
quite a bit. And stripping pointless services would help quite a lot,
as well.
From: Doug Freyburger on
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> Manuel Rodriguez <a...(a)gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Bootloader GRUB has similar behavior like a mini-operating-system: it
>> can draw images (splashscreen), can boot from network (ifconfig
>> compiled into) and print files to screen (command cat). Is it possible
>> to compile a webbrowser like w3m into grub, so i have a boottime of 2
>> seconds?
>
> Oh, dear god. I think not: grub needs to load the *kernel*, and starts
> reading your "init" scripts, and starts up the "init" deamon to run
> serial lines and services in /etc/inittab. All of that usually takes
> some time to do, and would otherwise leave your system without an
> active network (which makes your webbrowser pointless).

In other words you think it's the wrong tool for the job. I tend to
agree.

> It's certainly possible with many configurations to be booted more
> quickly. Between LinuxBIOS to speed the boot loading, and various
> parallelization tools to speed init scripts, you can shrink that time
> quite a bit. And stripping pointless services would help quite a lot,
> as well.

On the other hand, what if the goal is not a fast start but a
specialized box that does nothing but a web browser as far as a user can
tell?

If the topic were "Pimp my initrd" with a goal of including needed
network connectivity, web browser and as little else as possible in the
initial ram disk, that's not a bad question. Lots of commercial
products start out as a stripped down Linux box booting to do little
else but control some custom hardware. Why bother with custom hardware
if the goal is a canned browser and what you have is a pad device?

That's the direction I think should be taken - Leave grub alone as a
method of getting out of the ROM BIOS. Work with initrc, stage1, stage2
and so on.
From: Douglas Mayne on
On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 13:06:09 -0800, Manuel Rodriguez wrote:

> Bootloader GRUB has similar behavior like a mini-operating-system: it
> can draw images (splashscreen), can boot from network (ifconfig
> compiled into) and print files to screen (command cat). Is it possible
> to compile a webbrowser like w3m into grub, so i have a boottime of 2
> seconds?

Not likely in two seconds, and not likely with grub; however, a default
root filesystem could be loaded into memory in a few seconds.

p.s. I am just wondering if you have tried some of the solutions that I
have recommended to you on earlier threads? I am guessing not, possily
due to some problem with google groups. When/if you post a reply then
it may be more obvious that some real communication has taken place.

--
Douglas Mayne

From: Peter Köhlmann on
Douglas Mayne wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 13:06:09 -0800, Manuel Rodriguez wrote:
>
>> Bootloader GRUB has similar behavior like a mini-operating-system: it
>> can draw images (splashscreen), can boot from network (ifconfig
>> compiled into) and print files to screen (command cat). Is it possible
>> to compile a webbrowser like w3m into grub, so i have a boottime of 2
>> seconds?
>>
> Not likely in two seconds, and not likely with grub; however, a default
> root filesystem could be loaded into memory in a few seconds.
>
> p.s. I am just wondering if you have tried some of the solutions that I
> have recommended to you on earlier threads? I am guessing not, possily
> due to some problem with google groups. When/if you post a reply then
> it may be more obvious that some real communication has taken place.

You do realize that you answered a rather dumb troll, do you?
"Manuel" is killfiled by most posters in german linux newsgroups

Seems he needs new playgrounds now
--
Individualists unite!