From: Manuel Rodriguez on
On 10 Feb., 17:36, Douglas Mayne <d...(a)localhost.localnet> wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 13:06:09 -0800, Manuel Rodriguez wrote:
> > Bootloader GRUB has similar behavior like a mini-operating-system: it
> > can draw images (splashscreen), can boot from network (ifconfig
> > compiled into) and print files to screen (command cat). Is it possible
> > to compile a webbrowser like w3m into grub, so i have a boottime of 2
> > seconds?
>
> Not likely in two seconds, and not likely with grub; however, a default
> root filesystem could be loaded into memory in a few seconds.
>
> p.s. I am just wondering if you have tried some of the solutions that I
> have recommended to you on earlier threads? I am guessing not, possily
> due to some problem with google groups. When/if you post a reply then
> it may be more obvious that some real communication has taken place.
>
> --
> Douglas Mayne

Yes, I've read your answer from Jan 13, 2010 (topic "extreme stupid
question about grub"). In the meantime I've tried to understand the
init-process better (that was one of your hints). Also, I read the
file "init" in fulltext (after unpacking the initrd.gz). But the hole
boot-process seems to be very complicated. I'm so sorry that I don't
learn faster.
Until now, I'm able to build a custom initrd.gz by hand or by
mkinitramfs. Thats much more than the average linux user can do. I'm
not able to modify the init file, because i'm unsure about the startup-
scripts. The Linux-From-Scratch-Documentation is in my bookmark folder
but reading and understanding are different things.
So I can only say sorry about my vague knowledge about grub, init-
scripts and kernel parameters. So I use Newsgroups like this one, to
improve my understanding.
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Feb 10, 12:45 pm, Peter Köhlmann <peter-koehlm...(a)t-online.de>
wrote:
> Douglas Mayne wrote:
> > On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 13:06:09 -0800, Manuel Rodriguez wrote:
>
> >> Bootloader GRUB has similar behavior like a mini-operating-system: it
> >> can draw images (splashscreen), can boot from network (ifconfig
> >> compiled into) and print files to screen (command cat). Is it possible
> >> to compile a webbrowser like w3m into grub, so i have a boottime of 2
> >> seconds?
>
> > Not likely in two seconds, and not likely with grub; however, a default
> > root filesystem could be loaded into memory in a few seconds.
>
> > p.s. I am just wondering if you have tried some of the solutions that I
> > have recommended to you on earlier threads? I am guessing not, possily
> > due to some problem with google groups. When/if you post a reply then
> > it may be more obvious that some real communication has taken place.
>
> You do realize that you answered a rather dumb troll, do you?
> "Manuel" is killfiled by most posters in german linux newsgroups
>
> Seems he needs new playgrounds now

That's their problem. Well, that and SuSE. (Its primary configuration
tool, YaST is really, really, really not your friend for any remotely
sophisticated configuration needs due to a number of pervasive flaws
in mishandling both kernel and package configurations, especially the
"there can be only one kernel" and the 3rd-party software
installations such as NVidia. And don't get me going on how foolish it
is to publish a kernel SRPM where the patch files are hidden inside
tarballs, to be plucked and chosen among by shell scripts.
Errrggghhh!)

Manuel actually asked an interesting question, the sort that's worth
trying to answer and educate with even if it seems foolish to someone
already more familiar with how these things work.

For example: optimizing the "initrd", which is not actually a script
but a compressed, mountable file system for old reasons involving
bootstrapping from 1.44 MByte floppies, is an interesting way to try
to speed things up. Optimizing the init scripts, which is a different
matter, is actually something people are actively pursuing, and it's
one of the lengthier parts of the boot procedure. Optimizing the BIOS
itself is also possible, but takes considerable courage and some
knowledge to do. (LinuxBIOS isn't broadly supported yet, but it's
awfully cool if you can make it work.)

Manuel, I'm glad you're more clear now on the difference between grub,
the boot loader, and the init processes. They're tricky: they're shell
scripts, fitting a very standardized layout to ease management, but
they really *weren't* written for speed. For example, throwing out all
that nice sanity checking of config files and testing whether they
exist is going to slow things down. And the various funky bits
designed to make the printouts look pretty are a complete waste of
most user's time: We don't care of the output is "OK" or a splufty,
pretty green OK printing subroutine, but we needn't waste our time