From: syd_p on
Hi,

I need to install centos 5.4 on a blade server. On 7 blades.
I have always installed linux on familiar hardware before - ie PC -
and used a dvd in the dvd drive to start the install.

So my question is what media will I maybe need? usb drive, dvd, nfs
exported dvd or something else.

Any tip from someone who has done this before appreciated..
TIA

Syd
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Feb 6, 3:53 pm, syd_p <sydneypue...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to install centos 5.4 on a blade server. On 7 blades.
> I have always installed linux on familiar hardware before - ie PC -
> and used a dvd in the dvd drive to start the install.
>
> So my question is what media will I maybe need? usb drive, dvd, nfs
> exported dvd or something else.
>
> Any tip from someone who has done this before appreciated..
> TIA
>
> Syd

Depends on the blade server. Most modern ones come with a DVD drive,
and a remote management capability to allow you to view the system
consoles remotely. You should be able to put an install DVD in the
drive, start up the remote management console, link the DVD to the
designated host, boot it remotely, and talk to the console.

Now, if you want to optimize the setup for the long-term, you'd look
into setting up a PXE server and some kickstart files on the first
server, and use it to install the others. But that takes control over
your local DHCP and PXE setups, which can be tough to get in a mixed
environment.
From: syd_p on
On 7 Feb, 11:07, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 6, 3:53 pm, syd_p <sydneypue...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > I need to install centos 5.4 on a blade server. On 7 blades.
> > I have always installed linux on familiar hardware before - ie PC -
> > and used a dvd in the dvd drive to start the install.
>
> > So my question is what media will I maybe need? usb drive, dvd, nfs
> > exported dvd or something else.
>
> > Any tip from someone who has done this before appreciated..
> > TIA
>
> > Syd
>
> Depends on the blade server. Most modern ones come with a DVD drive,
> and a remote management capability to allow you to view the system
> consoles remotely. You should be able to put an install DVD in the
> drive, start up the remote management console, link the DVD to the
> designated host, boot it remotely, and talk to the console.
>
> Now, if you want to optimize the setup for the long-term, you'd look
> into setting up a PXE server and some kickstart files on the first
> server, and use it to install the others. But that takes control over
> your local DHCP and PXE setups, which can be tough to get in a mixed
> environment.
Thanks that helps!

Not quite sure what a mixed environment is?
I think it will be an IBM H series with 6 blades each with 2 X local
RAID-1 drives.

From: Chris Cox on
On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 12:53 -0800, syd_p wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to install centos 5.4 on a blade server. On 7 blades.
> I have always installed linux on familiar hardware before - ie PC -
> and used a dvd in the dvd drive to start the install.
>
> So my question is what media will I maybe need? usb drive, dvd, nfs
> exported dvd or something else.
>
> Any tip from someone who has done this before appreciated..
> TIA

I don't have a Bladesystem H yes... but in general the blade
manufacturer provides a virtual CDROM/DVD capability that allows
you to connect your "local" DVD from a the remote control point
running the enclosure software and use that for the blade(s).

So... you effectively get a DVD drive on your blades that
comes off your desktop (if you will).

Of course, once you do one machine, you could always clone
it to the other blades... lots of options once you do one.