From: Bob on
I have Fedora 12 running on an older computer. That computer
started to get flakey so I put the hard drive into a newer computer
as my boot drive. Now Linux wont recognize the new video card
(which is built in on the motherboard). I dont know what the video
card is to find out what driver I need.

Is there a command I can do to find out what the video 'card'
is so I can install the correct driver?

I tried system-config-display but it fails to start X server.
I also tried 'X -configure' with no luck.

I dont get why 'they' just dont fix system-config-display so
it will do what the setup does during the first install (revert
back to whatever video mode works) so you can select
the proper driver/mode/screen etc.

As a side note, when it boots, it sure knows how to use the
video because its in a graphics mode showing the text there.

I dont get it. Ive had many problems over the years with this
exact issue between machines.

Thanks for your help
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Bob wrote:

> I dont get it. Ive had many problems over the years with this
> exact issue between machines.

which shows its a fairly tough one to crack.

From: Bryce on
Bob wrote:

> I have Fedora 12 running on an older computer. That
> computer started to get flakey so I put the hard drive
> into a newer computer
> as my boot drive. Now Linux wont recognize the new video
> card
> (which is built in on the motherboard). I dont know what
> the video card is to find out what driver I need.
>
> Is there a command I can do to find out what the video
> 'card' is so I can install the correct driver?
>
> I tried system-config-display but it fails to start X
> server. I also tried 'X -configure' with no luck.
>
> I dont get why 'they' just dont fix system-config-display
> so it will do what the setup does during the first install
> (revert back to whatever video mode works) so you can
> select the proper driver/mode/screen etc.
>
> As a side note, when it boots, it sure knows how to use
> the video because its in a graphics mode showing the text
> there.
>
> I dont get it. Ive had many problems over the years with
> this exact issue between machines.
>
> Thanks for your help

Does your install include /etc/X11/xorg.conf ? If so,
rename it to get it out of the way and then do startx.
For some time, xorg has been good at probing hardware
installing the right stuff ... but it defers to what
you said in xorg.conf. And that was for the other box.

From: Tauno Voipio on
Bob wrote:
> I have Fedora 12 running on an older computer. That computer
> started to get flakey so I put the hard drive into a newer computer
> as my boot drive. Now Linux wont recognize the new video card
> (which is built in on the motherboard). I dont know what the video
> card is to find out what driver I need.
>
> Is there a command I can do to find out what the video 'card'
> is so I can install the correct driver?
>
> I tried system-config-display but it fails to start X server.
> I also tried 'X -configure' with no luck.
>
> I dont get why 'they' just dont fix system-config-display so
> it will do what the setup does during the first install (revert
> back to whatever video mode works) so you can select
> the proper driver/mode/screen etc.
>
> As a side note, when it boots, it sure knows how to use the
> video because its in a graphics mode showing the text there.
>
> I dont get it. Ive had many problems over the years with this
> exact issue between machines.
>
> Thanks for your help

lspci -v could give hints of the hardware.

My favourite way to set up a X server is to boot the Knoppix
CD on the computer, and get the X configuration file from
it to e.g. an USB stick.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi
From: Mark Hobley on
Bob <jeep(a)rahul.net> wrote:
> I have Fedora 12 running on an older computer. That computer
> started to get flakey so I put the hard drive into a newer computer
> as my boot drive. Now Linux wont recognize the new video card
> (which is built in on the motherboard). I dont know what the video
> card is to find out what driver I need.

Do you know what motherboard it is?

Try running lspci. Maybe this will give us a clue.

If not. You may have to open the machine and look for some markings on the
motherboard.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley