From: Neil Jones on
Hello,

I am running Slackare 13 Linux on my laptop. One of the issues I have
noticed recently is that when I have Firefox running on YouTube or
similar site and then want to startup MPlayer/Audaciou or some
audio/video client, the clients will not even start up. Even on
command line, I cannot play any music. It looks like the Flash player
in Firefox is locking the /dev/dsp as long as the browser is up. Is
there anyway to allow the /dev/dsp device be accessed by other
applications at the sametime? (I know it is going to be annoying to
listen to multiple sounds at the same time.) At the least, if my music
is playing I would like to get the alert sound for an important email,
buddy messaging me etc. I hope there is a solution for this.

Thank you in advance for any help.

NJ
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Neil Jones wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running Slackare 13 Linux on my laptop. One of the issues I have
> noticed recently is that when I have Firefox running on YouTube or
> similar site and then want to startup MPlayer/Audaciou or some
> audio/video client, the clients will not even start up. Even on
> command line, I cannot play any music. It looks like the Flash player
> in Firefox is locking the /dev/dsp as long as the browser is up. Is
> there anyway to allow the /dev/dsp device be accessed by other
> applications at the sametime? (I know it is going to be annoying to
> listen to multiple sounds at the same time.) At the least, if my music
> is playing I would like to get the alert sound for an important email,
> buddy messaging me etc. I hope there is a solution for this.
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.

check ownership permissions and google 'promiscuous mode' -- there is a
config switch somewhere that makes it 'single users' IIRC.

From: J G Miller on
On Friday, February 5th, 2010 at 07:57:51h +0100, Neil Jones asked:

> Is there anyway to allow the /dev/dsp device be accessed by other
> applications at the sametime?

Yes, by using the internal dmix plugin of ALSA,

<http://alsa.opensrc.org/DmixPlugin>

or even better, by using a sound server, viz pulseaudio.

<http://www.pulseaudio.org/>
From: unruh on
On 2010-02-05, Neil Jones <myself(a)dev.null> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running Slackare 13 Linux on my laptop. One of the issues I have
> noticed recently is that when I have Firefox running on YouTube or
> similar site and then want to startup MPlayer/Audaciou or some
> audio/video client, the clients will not even start up. Even on
> command line, I cannot play any music. It looks like the Flash player
> in Firefox is locking the /dev/dsp as long as the browser is up. Is
> there anyway to allow the /dev/dsp device be accessed by other
> applications at the sametime? (I know it is going to be annoying to
> listen to multiple sounds at the same time.) At the least, if my music
> is playing I would like to get the alert sound for an important email,
> buddy messaging me etc. I hope there is a solution for this.
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.
>
> NJ

That was what artsd (I think it is defunct now) and pulseaudio are all
about. -- /dev/dsp, the oss port, or alsa both do not allow mixing of
sounds, thus when one program opens the port, others are kept out.
Firefox does not lock /dev/dsp "as long as the browser is up" but while
it is playing sound-- and you said you were playing sound.