From: MEB on
On 05/10/2010 11:43 AM, Martins wrote:
> On May 6, 9:41 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...(a)Verizon.Net>
> wrote:
>
>> Can you please elaborate.
>>

> In each classroom with, say, 12 computers, I loose lots of time
> cleaning or uninstalling games.
>
> I thought there would be something similar to anti-virus but
> applicable to games.
>
> Someone tries to install a game ... the computer refuses, erases the
> files, shutsdown, whatever ... keeping games out of computers.
>
> It is a plague in environments where computers are stand-alone devices
> just connected to the Internet.
>
> Thanks
> Martins

If you are attempting to limit games installation in that type of
environment, you should have configured these systems for no "user"
installation via policies. In fact, students should *never* have the
ability to install or uninstall *anything*, only system administrators,
in the same fashion as blocking objectionable site connections and other
content and/or connections. Normal default "user" accounts do not allow
"installation" without administrative approval [password].
Apparently your school and/or its IT or similar dept. [or whomever
administrates the systems] has failed to provide its administrative
duties or erect proper policies.

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Martins" <hjrmartins(a)gmail.com>

| On May 6, 9:41 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...(a)Verizon.Net>
| wrote:

>> Can you please elaborate.

| In each classroom with, say, 12 computers, I loose lots of time
| cleaning or uninstalling games.

| I thought there would be something similar to anti-virus but
| applicable to games.

| Someone tries to install a game ... the computer refuses, erases the
| files, shutsdown, whatever ... keeping games out of computers.

| It is a plague in environments where computers are stand-alone devices
| just connected to the Internet.

| Thanks
| Martins

What MEB wrote and...

What you should be doing is local security policies to block installation and using only
limited accounts.

Additionally you should image a baseline computer and use that image to re-image the
classroom computers back to the that baseline.

--
Dave

From: Martins on
On May 10, 5:40 pm, MEB <MEB-not-h...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Normal default "user" accounts do not allow
> "installation" without administrative approval [password].
>  Apparently your school and/or its IT or similar dept. [or whomever
> administrates the systems] has failed to provide its administrative
> duties or erect proper policies.

Problem is that many games can be just copied to a folder or run
directly from a pen. No installation is required.

Martins
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Martins" <hjrmartins(a)gmail.com>

| On May 10, 5:40 pm, MEB <MEB-not-h...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Normal default "user" accounts do not allow
>> "installation" without administrative approval [password].
>> Apparently your school and/or its IT or similar dept. [or whomever
>> administrates the systems] has failed to provide its administrative
>> duties or erect proper policies.

| Problem is that many games can be just copied to a folder or run
| directly from a pen. No installation is required.

| Martins

Use Group Policy and disbale USB Mass Storage Devices.

--
Dave