From: Tim Wescott on
glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
> Tim Wescott <tim(a)seemywebsite.now> wrote:
> (snip, someone wrote)

(snip the main thread of discussion)

> One of my favorites was (maybe they still exist) an incandescent
> flame lamp with a filament that vibrated to look like a moving flame.
> There is a magnet inside, but the resonance is nowhere near 60Hz.
> The filament vibrates at around 2Hz.

There are electronic candles now that use a flickering LED that looks
_very_ realistic. I don't know if I'll like them a few years down the
road, but right now the sheer cleverness of the things makes them pleasing.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Rune Allnor on
On 16 Mar, 22:26, Eric Jacobsen <eric.jacob...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> On 3/16/2010 2:16 PM, Clay wrote:

> > Nils, thanks for that info. I was not aware of the Trautonium.
>
> > Clay
>
> Nor was I, and usually have my ear to the ground for strange instruments.

Are you aware of this one?

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GastonLagaffe

Rune
From: Nils on
Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:

> Thank you for the reference.

No problem. I'd always like to point out historical oddities :-)

And while we are at it: There is something very interesting about the
use of sub-harmonics in music:

The ear tend to determine pitch by the lowest frequency. That's simply
how we work, and it's nearly impossible to break this habbit.

With subharmonics however we have f/2 f/3, f/4 and so on as partials.
For the first sub-harmonics this is no big problem. we get an octave and
a forth (I think) below the fundamental frequency. No big deal, sound
just becomes fatter.

With higher sub-harmonics more complex musical interval-relationships
like sub-octaves of thirds, sixth and so on start to appear. Since these
are derived from the fundamental by frequency division they resemble the
just intonation. However, we are used to listen to equal temperament,
and equal temperament is not based on whole number division.

All this ends up in a clash between the needs to listen to something
interesting sound-wise (a sine is boooring) and our non just-intonation
based listening habits.

With higher harmonics the same clash doesn't happen because we don't
determine the pitch by the higher harmonics. They just give color...

Hm - I'd rather stop here, it's getting off-topic :-)

Cheers,
Nils
From: jungledmnc on
Thank you all people! And Nils actually that's what I'm talking about -
audio stuff, so thanks a lot for valuable info!

Anyway folks can you point me out to some zero-latency method? I mean there
was a Hilbert transformer idea, I never did it, but assume it is
similar/generalized fourier transform, so it would be processed block by
block, therefore induce latency. Similar with pitch-shifting, I guess it
could be done using granular-pitch shifting, but the results are usually
quite ugly.
From: Clay on
On Mar 16, 7:00 pm, Rune Allnor <all...(a)tele.ntnu.no> wrote:
> On 16 Mar, 22:26, Eric Jacobsen <eric.jacob...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
>
> > On 3/16/2010 2:16 PM, Clay wrote:
> > > Nils, thanks for that info. I was not aware of the Trautonium.
>
> > > Clay
>
> > Nor was I, and usually have my ear to the ground for strange instruments.
>
> Are you aware of this one?
>
>  tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GastonLagaffe
>
> Rune

Kind of reminds me of the strange instruments seen in Dr Suess
stories. Cool!

Clay